Blacksmith Bowie

Church & Son

I forged the blade last summer from a depression era rock drill bit. I have hours of heatin’ and beatin’ in it and it kept getting bigger. Ended up at 12″ of blade length by 2 1/2″ by 1/4″ thick. Quenched in salt water. Then it sat because I couldn't find a handle I liked, then a 2 dollar broken flea market hatchet supplied this one. It is toasted, scrapped and waxed, no dye. The end was beat up so I poured pewter on the butt and bolster/feral. The guard is part of a RR clip.
The sheath is veg-tanned scraps, stitched with linen harness cord. I was in one of my minimalist moods so all I used on the sheath was my "Old Timer" pocket knife, a sharpened nail to poke holes, vinegeroon dye and warmed beeswax. It's a big one, 19" from butt to tip of sheath. Thanks ......Randy

bb1-1.jpg
bb3.jpg
bb4.jpg

Thanks Wade, really didn't mean for this one to get so large. That powder horn in the pic I took in on a trade and it is 22" long. BIG cow. I'm 6'1" and the knife comes almost to my knee, have to find a BIG Cowboy customer. .........Randy

Last edited:
Wow, Randy, you sure are good at making things out of stuff you find. I wish you'd find my 23 year old grandson and make something outta him. Really neat looking bowie and sheath.

Brad, ToniMang and Danny, thanks for the kind remarks. And Danny, send him on across the mountains. I'll put a 5 pounder in his hand and show him an anvil. My boys are 16 and 26, when I get that glazed look in my eyes and say "build a fire, lets weld something" they usually find something real important they forgot to do.......Randy

I am so confused about the "poured pewter" comment... I have heard people talk about "poured pewter" bands and stuff, but what does that literally mean? And how do you keep the metal from going everywhere?

I wrapped thick paper from a laundry detergent box around the handle and secure with tape. I use a broken piece from a cast iron muffin pan to melt the pewter in ( this one was from a yard sale plate) and pour. Low temperature so it doesn't burn the wood or paper. I saw it first in an old Native American Skills book years ago. There is an excellent tutorial here on Mr. Foggs site.......Randy
http://forums.dfoggknives.com/index.php?showtopic=9559

Wow. It look great ..... and 50 years old. Something on my wish list is a really big Bowie (12 - 14" blade).
I wouldn't even know what to start offering for this. I wouldn't dare offering you a minimalist price.

Back