Draw filing info

Greenhead

Hey guys,
I was just wanting to know more about draw filing. Are any makers using this method? Is anyone making tactical folders using this method? Any pics? I was thinking about trying my hand at it some time. Thanks

Jamie

Plenty of makers use this method. From what I understand, it's the preferred method for shaping edge bevels and general truing up of stock for those makers who use mostly files for shaping their blades. It allows you to be a much flatter, straighter, and more consistent/true grind rather than running the file long ways over the steel.

One of the bigger concerns is having adequete support (especially for longer, thinner stock) so you're not flexing the blade and creating a dish or a divot. Also, make sure you're not "scrubbing" the blade, but that you're only cutting in one direction. You'll tend to wear out the file much quicker by going back and forth.

Make sure you have a good file card on hand as well, and keep the file cleaned out regularly, as it will cut much better and faster. I've heard of some makers "chalking" their files after cleaning in order to keep it from clogging as quickly.

I draw filing can be used for shorter/smaller blades as much as it can for longer blades, but it is a little bit easier to do on longer blades, in my opinion. Other makers with more experience might correct me on this.

The following thread gives some pretty good info:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3009481

Back