My first knife!!!

mikexd40

Now, I have NO previous experience with metal working. I have always been a fan of knives. Since I was a little boy, that was the one birthday gift I always received from my grandparents. I have a nice little collection and I figured I was always picky about the styling that why not make them myself. It turned into an obsession. The mrs can attest to that. I talk about it constantly. At work all I can talk about it steel and handle material. One of my fellow carpenter brothers had some old scrap steel laying around and he gave me two old barn door hinges.

So my template was drawn out, drilled, cut out, shaped, obsessed obsessed obsessed I became. USA Knifemaker is a great website. Thanks for everything.

Here she is. The hinges were very thick and my next one will be made of O1 that I select. Just a hair over 3/16, green canvas handle, (so excited when I was putting it together I forgot to put in my black liner material WHOOPS) 1/4" SS pins, leather sheath.

Get your laughs out at my stitching. I laughed when I got done. But I love this new hobby and will be taking it even further. I have multiple designs just waiting on some steel.
I was so excited to put the sheath together, I forgot to wash my hands. I got it filthy, went with it, and tried to make it look worn. I love it.

Comments are appreciated. Thanks

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That's a nice looking knife for a first effort. Unfortunantly I really doubt that steel from the old hinges will hold an edge. BTW, how did you heat treat it? Before you get any steel I would suggest that you slow down a little and get some books on knife making if you haven't already. Go to the link for Midwest Knifemakers and click on it. Tracy has a number of book. A little book learn'n ahead of time will save you a lot of headaches. For learning how to make sheaths, I'd recommend "Custon Knife Sheaths with Chuck Burrows". It explains everything about basic sheath making and then some.

Doug Lester

Back