CNC knife blank

levernut

My son is interested in having some full tang knife blanks made by a company that can use their CNC equipment to machine the profile and main bevel from common knife steels, i.e., D2, ATS 34, etc. Does anyone know of a small CNC shop that has experience doing this? We live in Kansas but will travel. Thanks in advance for your help.
Brad W.

Sounds like he would be just as well off to look at some of the blanks or kits that are already available online...

Thanks for your replies.
Les, I can work with minumum's. Do you know of a company that can do this kind of work?
Thanks.
Brad W.

If you're willing to grind the bevels yourself, having the profiles/holes etc cut by waterjet would be a lot cheaper. There's a guy around here somewhere who does that :les:

If you're willing to grind the bevels yourself, having the profiles/holes etc cut by waterjet would be a lot cheaper. There's a guy around here somewhere who does that :les:

I would agree that Dave at Great Lakes would be well worth talking to before spending the money on CNC.
Eric

I tried 2 different guys one has a CNC mill the other a waterjet. Both had me make CAD drawings and send them, They both advertised that no job was too small. Both suddenly got too busy to quote a price when they realized I only wanted a few knives to start with. I guess I should have told them I wanted to build 200 knives for a first order.

ernie

As Universal Outfitters, they have a forum right here in KD, down towards the bottom... Keith can take care of you! :)

Most Machine shops have CNC Mills, just have to find one hungry in this economy. But be ready to have your wallet out and expected to pay $250.00 plus a blade.

Unless you personally know a generous machinist, you're likely to be spending about as much for a CNC'd blade as you would for a custom from a reputable knife maker.

If I were you, I'd just give the business to a custom maker who wants or needs the work. You're likely to get a better blade for it in the long run anyhow.

Back