Mobile-Horizontal V.S. reversable disc grinder.

Fred Rowe

We added this horizontal disc grinder to the mobile grinder setup we take to the shows. It unbolts and unplugs from the mobile stand to make it easier to move.
Its a one hp dc reversible with variable speed control. I am sewing some small sand bags as hand rest to sit atop the aluminum table that surrounds the disc.

DSC00959.JPG

DSC00958.JPG

DSC00954.JPG

DSC00953.JPG

DSC00956.JPG

Last edited:
Fred, that's a pretty slick looking rig. I'll bet a lot of folks with limited shop space are already trying to figure out how to put something like that together.

I have seen you use the platen/rest in front of your grinder while you're demonstrating your bubble jig and it looks like it would be the cat's meow. Your photos give me a little better idea of how it's put together.

Good luck on your demos,
Carey

Fred, that's a pretty slick looking rig. I'll bet a lot of folks with limited shop space are already trying to figure out how to put something like that together.

I have seen you use the platen/rest in front of your grinder while you're demonstrating your bubble jig and it looks like it would be the cat's meow. Your photos give me a little better idea of how it's put together.

Good luck on your demos,
Carey

Thanks Carey I appreciate it. The rest first life was as an extension on a roll around miter saw. I took it off and did a little retrofit, added the square tubing. There are square tubes inside the frame work under the grinder. The table slides in and out, it has thumb style set screws. It moves up and down also. It can be locked in most any position. It makes controlling the blade being ground a lot easier.

Regards, Fred

Looks really nice Fred, and really handy in about a thousand different ways too.

amazing machine. I really like it. I see a lot of design went into that.

Man! what a great set up! aluminum makes things much lighter/easier to handle...great job!!!

Gene
Keeping the weight down as much as possible was a must. Even with the tool arms removed and the disc grinder unbolted from the base; it is still a two person job to load and unload at the shows. It's fortunate knife makers are such friendly and helpful people.

Fred don't do nuttun half way.
As you know that includes feeding my face.:9:

Looks really nice Fred, and really handy in about a thousand different ways too.
The machine can be moved around the shop so it can be located close to what you are working on. If the weather is nice I set it outside the shop to take advantage of the natural light.

amazing machine. I really like it. I see a lot of design went into that.
The carriage is by Makita and is rated to carry 500 lbs. The covered aluminum box was built and covered and then the top was removed to mount the table slides and electric lines. My hands are not as steady as in the past so the work rest were needed. They make intricate grinds very manageable.
Fred

Back