Emergency Call for Help

knifecarver

View attachment 21627Jim Frost/Cutlery Corner just called me and asked how much I would charge him for 30 of these saddlehorn trappers. It took about 12 hours to do this one. I would be able to knock another 1 to 2 hours off after the 1st 5 knifes maybe. How much should I ask. I need to call him back right away. Thank you.
Cathy

Well Honestly nobody else can tell you what to charge for a knife or knives.

Its all up to you and depends on, Materials, time, and what you feel they are worth.
Also have to factor in any extras like polishing, exotic materials and or engraving.

Good news and a hard problem go hand in hand. What it all comes down to is "how much are
you willing to work for per hour?". I remember listening to some first rate makers talking about
this at Ashokan 1 1/2 years ago. There seemed to be some general agreement on a shop rate
per hour + materials. For these, VERY EXPERIENCED, VERY EFFICIENT makers the shop rate
tended to be in the $60+ range. Note that any of them could do a given job in much less time
than I could AND that this rate represents an investment in shop equipment that I haven't made.

None of this answers your question but may give you a little bit more data. IMHO, I'd talk personally
to some current engravers, etc. to get an idea what their parameters are.

Materials needed + wear on equipment + time = ???

What is our time worth to you? The others should be easily calculated.

Thanks Dan and Ernie for your advice. I've been reading old posts on pricing work and I've made a decision. If the price I'm going to ask for is too high, they'll let me know. If it's too low, and they don't bat an eye, it's a learning experience. My customers will win because their knife will be worth more money someday. I will get national T.V. exposure with this deal and that in itself is something I can't afford by myself. The knife in the picture was sent to me by an e-bay knife store owner, who wanted me to show him my work. I recently asked him if he wanted to trade this knife for two Case knives he was selling, but he never got back to me. Too Late Now!

Back