Custom Nessmuk

Calvin Robinson

Moderator Christian Forum
I finished this today, it was a custom knife, he wanted a Nessmuk blade with the handle like I have on my Big Brother skinning knives.
D-2 blade with the last 1/2" of the spine sharpend to a cutting edge, black neoprean handle with red liners. Plain jane leather sheath.

Looks really nice Calvin. I have often thought that neoprene scales would be a good offering but have no idea where to get it or how to work it for that matter. Care to share a few pointers?

Carey

Looks really nice Calvin. I have often thought that neoprene scales would be a good offering but have no idea where to get it or how to work it for that matter. Care to share a few pointers?

Carey

If I remember correctly I get it from Texas Knifemakers supply, you can buy scales or in 5"x12"x5/16" sheets. I glue it with epoxie and pin it with linen micarta pins. I cut it on my metal cutting bandsaw, grind it with sharp 60 grit belts and finish it with sharp 120 grit belts then hand sand at 180 grit. Then soak it with Armor All as many times as needed to get the desired look. It will be dark grey but will turn black in a few days, it will also harden a little after a few days. This material is soft so go slow when grinding or you will grind it away. The only problem I have with tis material is that somehow it compels people who pick it up to look at it to gouge it with their fingernails.
Also Armor All is a great product to use on Kydex sheaths to make them look new and shiney. I use it on all my Kydex sheaths when I finish making them to give them that BRAND NEW look.

Thanks for the info guys. I used to think the grips on the old Gerber 'Gator' were jam up and have thought about being able to offer something similar.

Carey

Back