Kabar Refurb

Steven Janik

SUPERMOD & AWARDS BOSS
A gentleman named David Oberle contacted Knifedogs.com looking for someone to help him modify a Kabar replica. Mr. Oberle is a Vietnam War vet and wanted his medical corps insignia incorporated in the handle of this knife that can later be passed down to his family.

I removed the rubber grip and am building a new handle with black paper micarta.

So here's a little WIP to follow along.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here I start to cut the old rubber handle away.
attachment.php

The grip is removed and the tang is cleaned up.
attachment.php

I slit some micarta to make a thin piece to inlay the insignia into. This will all be glued back to together later.
attachment.php

The insignia is laid out and measured.
attachment.php

Pilot holes for the cutout.
attachment.php

Cutting out on scroll saw.
attachment.php

Rough cut out complete.
attachment.php

MORE TO COME......

ob3.jpgob7.jpgob4.jpgob5.jpgob6.jpgob8.jpgob11.jpgob10.jpgob9.jpgob12.jpgob8.jpgob11.jpgob10.jpgob9.jpgob12.jpg

Kabar Refurb continued..

Some diamond files and a little elbow grease and side one is inset.
attachment.php

Second insignia on opposite side.
attachment.php

Both veneers with inset insignias ready to glue up to handle block.
attachment.php

ob15.jpgob14.jpgob13.jpg

Looks good Steve I enjoy seeing your WIP's thanks for taking the time to show us how these things are done
God Bless,
Rodney

Finally got a chance to get back to this one.
All the handle pieces are laminated back together to make a nifty little packet. I added some red spacers to break up the black micarta a little.
attachment.php

Did some rough freehand grinding to get an idea of the final shape. I always draw patterns, cut them out, study them, ask the wife what she thinks then walk to the grinder and start chipping away til it looks and feels about right.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Roughing out the butt end to fit the existing pommel.
attachment.php

obb2.jpgobb3.jpgobb1.JPGobb7.jpg

Final stages. I got the insignias set in place with epoxy. A little (alot) of rubby rubby shine shine and the finish is coming along. I also took the guard and pommel and stripped and polished them.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Final step was a couple coats of satin poly to keep the insigs from tarnishing later.
attachment.php

All in all I'm pleased with the outcome.
I think the owner can display it proudly.

Thanks for looking,
Steve

obb4.jpgobb8.jpgobb5.jpgobb6.jpg

that came out pretty nice. the inlay's really came good Steve..

Back