I've been wondering....

Godspeed

I have made about 20 knives now... sunk alot more money than I should in machinery and materials... made countless stupid mistakes, and fixed most of them.... I spend about 5 hours a day grinding, sanding, and profiling... I've even sold a few... So.. my question is..
When can I officially call myself a knifemaker?

I agree, too. Whether you decide to make some or all of your living at it, be a hobbyist or whatever is up to you.

I have to admit, I am a little shy about posting pics of my knives.... all I see are the imperfections.
People seem to like them, but sometimes
I think that's just because they don't know any better. lol!

Post them pics!!!!!! Imperfections or not a hand made knife is awesome!!!!!! If you have a flub up it's just a learning tool to make the next one better!!! I try to make each knife I make better than the ones before it and just get better and more efficient as I progress.

once you get successful enough that you have people that will willingly die for you...

or

you make up an awesome past that gets all the local ninjas hot and bothered

or

you can make a knife that does what it is supposed to and someone wants to pay you for it :)

after you make your first knife, you learn the secret handshake and you are a knifemaker and there is no secret handshake..

I thought that handshake thing was for real . Maybe that was just thumb wrestling.
Seriously though , if you make a knife that I either artistic our usable , and continue striving to put out better work , you are a knifemaker .
Congrats .
Dan

Back