Seriously Guys

JatMat

I have a question to ask? Appreciate all and informative answers.
If a knife is sent to you for a fluff and buff due to hard use (not abuse)
Do you charge? What is your turn around time? The reason I ask, I buy several customs from the same maker and have sent knives back a couple of times, the first time the turn around was close to 6 months. This last time, I am still waiting, but it has only been about two months.
Thanks for your input,
Jim

I wouldn't charge anything for a basic clean and resharp unless it was really fouled up. I'd expect the customer to cover shipping both ways. As to turnaround, if I couldn't get to it in a week I'd at least let the customer know. Personally I have to get onto stuff like that right away, because if it sits in a drawer or on a shelf for more than a couple days, I'm extremely likely to forget all about it! :eek:

JatMat, that is a good question. For me as a new knife maker and learning the in's and out’s from a pro! I have been restoring knives for a few years now. So I have to charge. But only minimal if I made the knife for you.....If I made the knife for you I would charge a for my time and materials that we knife makers forget that add up and kill us over time. IE Sand paper, polish wax, chalk, stones, oil, etc. Twenty Bucks at the most. Out of that twenty I would include shipping; handling and tracking back to you. I agree with James in that it would take no longer than twenty minutes depending on the knife and a week to get it back to you. Make sure you talk about these things before you ship one of your custom knives to anybody!!! Even if they are the maker. "Get Your Knife Back" I hope that helps. check out my site!!! martinelliknives.com

Kris

As a knife maker (albeit, part time) my existing customers are my greatest asset and source of advertising. After about 100 sales, I have only recieved 2 knives back, both were damages by the user, a broken tip and a jammed liner lock. I repaired them both and expedited shipping within a week. All at no cost to the customer. This was my choice because they are multiple buyers and this just advances my relationship with these guys.

The choice to service these for free was my call, but the goodwill towards referrals and future sales far outweighs the small repair fees. If a guy were abusing a knife I guess I may feel differently about it.

Getting them back in my hands also allows me to inspect them an reasess their quality. This gives me ideas for future changes and also lets me take some additional pics.

Just my honest opinion.
Steve

Having done this spare time for over 20 years , I've had some come back for sharpening and a clean . I NEVER charge anything more than shipping .
Like Steve said , the good will and return customers more than offset a few $ that you may charge for incedentals .​
I too , must get right to it or it will sit for a while . Can't have that , 1 week , 2 at the most .​
With some of the steels we use , some customers really have a hard time resharpening , so I tell all , that for as long as I am able , return postage covers most things .​

As a knife maker (albeit, part time) my existing customers are my greatest asset and source of advertising. After about 100 sales, I have only recieved 2 knives back, both were damages by the user, a broken tip and a jammed liner lock. I repaired them both and expedited shipping within a week. All at no cost to the customer. This was my choice because they are multiple buyers and this just advances my relationship with these guys.

The choice to service these for free was my call, but the goodwill towards referrals and future sales far outweighs the small repair fees. If a guy were abusing a knife I guess I may feel differently about it.

Getting them back in my hands also allows me to inspect them an reasess their quality. This gives me ideas for future changes and also lets me take some additional pics.

Just my honest opinion.
Steve

I take it back after reading Steven and Bill, like I said I am a new knife maker with few sales but restoration is where I started. I just talked with a forty year pro and he stated the same as Steven and Bill. Customer? sharpen..polish no charge except shipping and handling. Unless they beat the hell out of it. Just make it clear. But I like what Steve said about reasessment and referrals. Thank you Bill and Steven. That's why I am here is to learn!!!!!

Usually, I have a new custom coming from the same maker at the same time, I am a repeat buyer. (often) now have about 20 or so from same maker. The knives have been used, but a polish and resharpening is all they need. But, I am adept at sharping, all my users stay shaving sharp, however, I do not like the scratches that come from use.

If you had bought 20 knives from me , I would up my end of the bargain and do it same day with a priority mailing back . You are the type of customer we dream about .
I can only imagine that there is a good(?) reason for such a practice .​

The buffing of a sharpened knife IS a very dangerous thing and I won't that on a fixed blade. I will however do sharpenings for free. Frank

The buffing of a sharpened knife IS a very dangerous thing and I won't that on a fixed blade. I will however do sharpenings for free. Frank

I understand the "buffing" but these were never buffed to begin with, hollow ground with a fine grit. I have on numerous times asked to pay for his time, but he has never charged. Even for mailing, perhaps it is because they usually come with another new one.

With some of the steels we use , some customers really have a hard time resharpening , so I tell all , that for as long as I am able , return postage covers most things.

I completely agree. I often use high-alloy steels than can be difficult to sharpen; I have the tools and skill to do it right, and my warranty includes that.

For the sake of perspective... when I made my living in the printing industry, the company I worked for had a great relationship with the firm that provided us with high-quality blades. I'm talking about blades that cut/chopped/slit thousands of feet of paper in a single shift. We paid up-front for the best we could get, and they did resharps at no charge. When we needed more, we bought from them again because we trusted thier quality and service after the sale.

Sorry for the drift. My point is, I'm more than pleased to keep a customer happy after the sale. I consider "fluff and buff" part of my job and warranty, and a customer who pays for a handmade knife has a right to expect a decent amount of service.

If you had bought 20 knives from me , I would up my end of the bargain and do it same day with a priority mailing back . You are the type of customer we dream about .

Heck yeah!

Last edited:
Update! Got a call from said maker last week and he said he was working on them and would have them finished that day, been about 10 days now. I do know Blade is coming up, but it is just wrong to say they are going out tomorrow and not hear again in 10 days. I just had a great experience with Ken Coats and would be happy to recommend him to anyone. The difference in the two are night and day.
Jim

Well the truth is when I did a lot of hunter making for many years, I even reground for free blades that had been missused. Frank

I think more than a week is too long for such a good customer. I wouldnt charge for anything except shipping. Isnt your Bump Peanut about ready for a re-burb?

I think more than a week is too long for such a good customer. I wouldnt charge for anything except shipping. Isnt your Bump Peanut about ready for a re-burb?
My Bump peanut is waiting on his brother from Mr Bump, that one is going to have his personal touch all over. :)

Just thought I would update you all, got a call from the maker about 10 days ago and said everything was going in the mail the next day. Finally, I thought, but alas, after another week NOTHING, still waiting on 3 fluff and buffs and one new one. Oh well. I am glad I am not short on working knives.
Jim

I feel your treatment has been insulting. I can see him having been to busy to make the knife on order withing a week or so but repairs should have been done on receipt of the knife and returned all within a week. I'll just bet he doesn't have many others buying as many knives as you have.Frank

I am a full time maker and as they say, time is money. But if I get a knife back, I do the work on it ASAP! My customers are my lifesblood. And they should always be kept happy.
GOD BLESS!!!
Michael

Back