My first knife design

B

byfbo

This is my first attempt at designing and making a knife. I drew something up today on a piece of paper then I made a .dxf of my drawing. I am going to laser cut this blank out, but since its my first try ever I was looking for feed back into the design and what would be the easier material to make it from first. I havent programmed the holes for the scales yet since I dont know what hardware is best. The materials I have on hand is some 1/4 inch 1095 steel, and I have some 11 gauge 304 stainless. I have other steel thicknesses but none in 1095. I just noticed I forgot to draw in some thumb ridges or what ever the tech term is called lol. Anyways thanks for the input if you have the time!
knife1-1.jpg

I like the overall design, though I'd probably want to go with something a little thinner than 1/4" for a knive that small and slender.

Also, what's the diameter of your finger choil? Be sure it's big enough to fit your finger comfortably and still have a little bit of wiggle room. I usually make mine at least 3/4" wide or more, which is what it looks like you have, but I can't really tell.

Looking forward to seeing a finished blade!

Im not sure what that measurement is I just free handed that part. I will add that into my cad drawing. So I will cut it out of 11 gauge stainless then! I appreciate the response! I have a lot to learn and all I have are a few hand files (and a 3000w laser lol, but that only cuts out a few beginning steps).

Roy

Ok so here is my first revision of my first design. I added some more measurements to the pic. The line spacing between the finger ridges is .1. I plan on using these corby bolts. I have made the holes in the tang and the scales slightly larger than the shaft on the corby bolt. I think the actual diameter on the shaft of the bolt is .135
knife1-2.jpg

Ok so after I redrew my design, I got it set up to run on 11 gauge stainless. I had enough scrap saved up to make 12 knives so i have mistake room.... lol. Now its time to do the hard part!
knives3.jpg
knives2.jpg
knives1.jpg
edges.jpg
here is what a laser cut edge looks like if you have never seen it before.

knives4.jpg

Man, I wish I had a laser to play with!

Yeah its fun! Until something expensive breaks on it and I have to fix it. I try to keep it clean but carbon dust and grease get everywhere lol! I have very supportive bosses and they let me do my thing.

wow that would have taken me guessing 6 hours maybe more they look good how do they feel in the hand the finger area looks steep just my 2 cents its all feel and preference great job

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but 304SS will be of little use as anything but a butter knife, as it won't hold a sharpened edge at all... That being said, "Tactical Spreader" has a nice ring to it. ;)

That, or you at least have plenty of practice pieces until you get your hands on a steel with a higher carbon content.

I will say that your design looks like it came out great, though I might round over the lower half of the finger choil to be a little more comfortable in the hands. Though the addition of handle scales will likely soften that corner up a little bit, I think it's probably feel better if it "blends" into the handle a little more.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but 304SS will be of little use as anything but a butter knife, as it won't hold a sharpened edge at all... That being said, "Tactical Spreader" has a nice ring to it. ;)

That, or you at least have plenty of practice pieces until you get your hands on a steel with a higher carbon content.

I will say that your design looks like it came out great, though I might round over the lower half of the finger choil to be a little more comfortable in the hands. Though the addition of handle scales will likely soften that corner up a little bit, I think it's probably feel better if it "blends" into the handle a little more.
That's why I was asking. I would go with the 1095 instead. That way you get a useable knife. I really like the way it looks though!!!!!

wow that would have taken me guessing 6 hours maybe more they look good how do they feel in the hand the finger area looks steep just my 2 cents its all feel and preference great job

In my hand its nice. I wish that I wouldve made the tang a lil longer but hey live and learn. I have been overloading my head with knife tang/scale arrangements on the web and my head spins. I could imagine that it would take a long time to make something that would be preferrable to most everyones feel. Please pardon my dirty hand and dirty desk I am @ work makin money lol.
knives6.jpg

knives5.jpg

I love that name, tactical spreader! Yeah its all good I am here to make learn and make mistakes! I used what I had layin around since Im low on metal funds lol. I have cut out 12 blanks so I have lots to practice with. I will keep in mind softening up the lower edge of the choil for next time. I have some 1095 layin around but its 1/4 inch. I might have to see about getting some thinner. I think I may have some 12 gauge 1008 laying around too, would that be suitable?

The tactical spreader!

Well I have gotten some more done on my mil spec butter knife. All filing done by hand and i clearly need more practice lol. I laser cut some scales from 1/4 cherry and when I get some time I will shape them. (dont know how to do that yet). I do know that I am gonna laser engrave some cross hatch pattern on em though. I do appreciate all the feed back I have been getting. I am thankful to have found a great place to learn something new!
knives8.jpg

knives7.jpg

A Dremel type tool will help with anything from profiling your blank (like changing the shape of your finger groove) to shaping handle material - just use a light touch until you get the shape you want.

A Dremel type tool will help with anything from profiling your blank (like changing the shape of your finger groove) to shaping handle material - just use a light touch until you get the shape you want.

Thanks Denny I have been looking into getting one for a while, other purchases seem to skip it in line lol

Not sure, but I don't think 304 SS will harden to make a good blade, like I say I am not sure of that. They sure look good though.
Dale

Back