Buffer Recommendation

tedinatl

Hi everyone,

I am looking into getting a buffer for my shop, but really have no idea what I should be looking for. I don't have a ton of money to spend on it either, but will pay a little extra if it is justified. the buffer will mainly be used for blades and handles, but I also do a lot of woodwork, so I might want to use it for some of that (but not much).

Any recommendations in terms of speed, wheel size (diameter and width), amps, etc. will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ted

Ted, i got one from Grizzly.com and it was a 1725 rpm buffer wish i would say was just right.
i have 3650 rpm ones but dont have to mush use for them now
the 3600 would grab the blade and rip it out of your hand, where as the 1725 won't as of yet.
if i was to get another one , it would be 1725.
vern

Thanks v-6. I looked at their site earlier, but they only have 3600 rpm ones on there now. Any other recommendations?

I have one from grizzly as well. I don't think it gets much better than that and they are fairly priced.

tedinatl, most people don't have 3phase in there shop . you mite try a single phase ,even smaller then 1 hp.you'll probably have as much in a 3 phase a you would if you just get a grinder

Thanks for the info, v-6. I'm not really sure what I want to do here, though. I'm thinking to just shell over the $$ and get a Baldor 1/3 hp buffer, but I'm not sure if it will be strong enough (probably, though), or do I try to fabricate something out of some grinder. I don't know.

What would you do if you had about $250 for a buffer?

Thanks in advance!

I've got an old Jet that turns 3600. It does a great job but if it pulls one out of your hands(and it will),it gets really ugly really fast. I'd go for half the speed and horsepower if I had to buy a new one. Mines a 1hp by the way.

I bought a "performax" brand buffer from my local Menards hardware store for about 60 bucks on sale, IIRC.... I think they average about 80 when not on sale. Honestly, If I had 250 bucks to put towards one, I'd just buy 3 of those and set them up with different wheels and compounds. ;)

I personally don't get what the difference between an $80 buffer and a $250 buffer is, other than the name and the motor. They both turn a buffing wheel just about the same I'd say. And since you're letting the buffing wheel and compound do most of the work, I don't see where the need for a whole lot of power comes into play.

It's a simple machine, with a simple task.

Back