Making my first knives...WIP

Wally

Well, i finally started my first 2 knives this week. I have been researching for quite a while now, and finally got around to buying some tools and materials. They are both A2 steel...went with it because i heard it was pretty tough and it was cheaper than the good stainless. I have them cut out and flat ground now and they are ready to send off for heat treatment.

A picture of the pair
SDC10135.jpg

This big one is 3/16" thick, 9.5" long, and about 1.5" wide. I don't know exactly what style this is...maybe a drop point skinner?
SDC10137.jpg

This one is 1/8" thick, 7.5" long, and about 3/4" wide. I was going for the bird and trout look with this one. I got a little carried away with the grind and went all the way up the blade with it.
SDC10136.jpg

I haven't figured out what handle material I am going to go with yet. I have a some "tigerwood" dymondwood...thinking about possibly using that on the bigger knife. I am open to any ideas that might go well with these styles.

Both look good for first attempts. Believe me when I say mine were no better (in fact much worse). As for handle material choices, that's kinda like telling you what type, color, make, and model of vehicle to buy. The possibilities are endless. Curly maple is always a fairly inexpensive standy as is any type and color of Micarta. Keep practicing and you possibilites will be endless.

just a thought ,im a novist ,you might wount to draw file ore sand the blade smoth, on your skiner its ezzer to wip down less rust on a field knife , also make sure handel,part flat seals out wet beter,, you look like you,r off to a good start .

I think the tigerstripe looks pretty good I have used it. Make sure to wear a resperator it puts off a very fine powder that smells pretty bad I have also hered that some of the glues used in it can make you real sick due to putting off toxic gasses when being sanded sure others can tell you more about. As others have said make sure to drill your holes for handles before heat treating I also would suggest hand sanding to maybe 220 or 320 grit before heat treat will make things easier on you when finishing the blade (don't ask how I know )but there is another. Thread about laughing steel if you must know. They look good so far lets see some pictures when there done.

God Bless
Rodney

Last edited:
Back