Neo-Tribal blade for a KITH

Stormcrow

This is a little blade I banged out as a demonstration peice for a buddy of mine. I'd show him the steps on my knife, then he'd follow with his. I then used it to demonstrate filing and heat treatment for a student. I decided it would make a good entry for a Knife in the Hat exchange on the Hoodlums forum, so I threw my name in the hat.

The steel is differentially heat treated 5160 triple hardened in veggie oil. The handle is hemp cord for the main wrap, cotton cord for the Turk's head knot, and amber shellac to seal it. It's shaving sharp and ready to ship. :)

I took pics of it in a local park (second oldest public park in the U.S.) and tried three different backgrounds. Which makes for the best photo?

kith2011006.jpg

kith2011004.jpg

kith2011002.jpg

Nice blade! and I guess I'll make it even more confusing by saying that I really like the first pic best... the rock colors flow with the knife perfectly.

Thanks, guys! General consensus over several forums seems to be that very few people prefer the picture with the bricks and it's about evenly divided between the stone and the cactus pad. The stone seems to make for the more interesting background, but the blade kind of blends with it, especially on the top edge, while for some the cactus pad seems too bright or to have too much in the background, needing cropping.

The way the blade does blend with the stone forces you to focus on the knife and ignore the background... that is hard to do with the leaf because it is just so... BAM!

Back