New blade

mtnman1

Hi guys. I'm relatively new to knife making. Murph directed me over here and it looks like a great place for me to learn. I've thrown a couple of kits together and have just started trying to grind my own blades. I've read a few articles and what not and have some very limited equipment but I've managed to knock out a couple of blanks and grind a few for practice. I did my first couple out of D2 and have now progressed to S35v which is what I think I want my end result to be made from. I'm strictly doing this for the enjoyment.

Here's my first blade that I've done with the S35v. Had some feedback that I had taken the blade too far and that it would warp in Heat Treat, but I just talked to Brad at Peter's and he said he wasn't worried and thought it would be no problem. (Fantastic guy to talk to and really patient and helpful) Let me know what you think. I am certainly open to comments and criticism so tell me what I need to be doing differently.

Probably doing the picture thing wrong, so if someone can aim me at the proper way, I'd appreciate that as well.

SANY0181.jpg

Pic loaded just fine. Welcome to the pack. When you get a chance, drop over to he "Introduction Forum" and tell us about yourself. If you fill in your profile and tell us where you are, there will probablymbe a few guys inmyour neck of the woods willing to help you out if you into any issues.

Hey thanks Murph. Really appreciate you directing me over here. Lots of great info and experience available.

If memory serves, S35V is a stainless steel so that means that it is air hardening which reduces the likelyhood of the steel warping. You are also sending it out for professional heat treating and they will know how to reduce the stresses on the steel that might cause a problem. Reguardless, if you make knives you will eventually need to know how to straighten blades.

Doug Lester

Make sure you drill your hole before heattreat.
Trust me. Done that one allready.
Looks great. I would carry it with pride.

I think you're doing well. Make sure you drill your holes before heat treatment. I notice you added a small choil. I do that too. How are you grinding the bevels? Is it flat ground? What do you find most challenging?

Taking pictures from different angles can reveal different aspects to the shape of the blade. Taking pictures of highly polished steel can be difficult in direct sunlight. Yours looks fine to me but one or two more from different angles would help.

- LonePine
Alias Paul Meske, Wisconsin

Thanks guys. I flat grind. Did drill the holes after that pic. was taken. My biggest struggle is preimarily around the crappy grinder I'm using. It's just a little ryobi 4x36. It works fine, but it has a small area that extends out past the sides of the platen on both sides and makes it really difficult to hold a steady and consistent angle with the blade. Really think if I'm going to learn to do this properly I'm going to have to get something better in the way of a grinder. I've looked at the grinder in a box option and wonder if I can amass and assemble everything needed. Also thought about just breaking down and doing the KMG thing, but that's a pretty big expense considering this is sort of a hobby and that money could go to buy an awful lot of supplies. Will probably end up doing the grinder in a box thing due to the cost savings.

I'll have to work on the picture thing and see if I can do better. Just packaging up this blade and another I punched out of the weekend to send off to Brad for heat treat.

I'll try to take some more pictures as I progress with them.

Yes, I would agree that you're going to have a hard time learning to grind on that 4X36" sander; been there, done that. One of the advantages of something like the grinder in a box or the no weld grinder is that you can buy the parts as you can afford them. In the mean time, draw filing is not much slower than what you have and gives a lot more control. Carbide bits are a good thing to have around just in case you need to drill a hold after you have it hardened. Google up Carbide Connection; they carry carbide bits in all sizes.

Doug Lester

Welcome to the pack looks like you are doing a good job I feel your pain with your grinder I am grinder challenged my self. just take your time and you will be able to produce some good work. I decided to build the no weld grinder that way I can piece it together as money allows. Just be fore warned knife making can become addicting

God Bless
Rodney

Back