New WIP

Roger

This is going to a friend of my Son's. He is heading for a second Afgan tour. 1095, 4" blade I'll build some digital camo 'micarta' for the handle and 'brown' the blade. I've been working it with 220, how much finer should I go before heat treating?

The other is two of the grandkids 'building' their own jackknifes from kits.

Brian 003.jpgBoys knife 005.jpg

Thanks. I was thinking of Birchwood Casey 'Plum Brown'. I've used it a lot on gun barrels, but I'm wondering now if it would be the right choice for a knife and how well it would hold up. I haven't used many gun barrels for carving weenie sticks. :)

Roger, I can't really help you with the browning but I'd like to applaud your efforts with the grandsons. You're not only building a couple of knives but a memory that those kids will carry and share for the rest of their lives.

Bravo,
Carey

Roger, I can't really help you with the browning but I'd like to applaud your efforts with the grandsons. You're not only building a couple of knives but a memory that those kids will carry and share for the rest of their lives.

Bravo,
Carey

Thanks Carey. I learned rabbit snares, making whistles from willow branches and shooting rats at the dump with a 45-70 from my grand dad. :) Not enough tradition is being passed on to younger folks anymore. Besides, if a kid grows up doing for himself he's a better man.

Being that I've been browning knife furniture with the Birchwood Casey plumb brown, I'd say that it wouldn't hold up very long on the blade. It will rub off going in and out of the sheath over time. You could still do it though, it would probably leave a dull finish behind unless the surface of the blade is really abraided by something.

Doug Lester

Back