Brian Hochstrat engraved Ron Lake folder

Buddy Thomason

This image is supposed to feature the engraver's work so if you don't get that from it visually, let me know. To be fair and honest, this is a situation where the engraver should get top billing, at least as regards the visual representation of the finished knife. I may have listed the maker first, by convention, but (hopefully) the main message of the image is about the engraving.

I salute Ron Lake for coming up with what is essentially a home run knife design that gives engravers and embellishers room to stretch out. There must be a near constant demand for this and other models like it which has continued over many years. But I also have to marvel at how Brian has transformed the knife into something powerful that has me saying to myself, "I am not worthy, I am not worthy" all while I'm fumbling around trying to digitally capture its essence and failing time after time; unable, or unwilling, to stop! :les: :15:

Sooner or later, all that gold starts to work on a man's mind, doesn't it precious? Yes, my precious, Brian says we sends it back, but no, NOOOO! my precioussssss...... gollum, gollum.. prezzzussssssss... :eek:

orig.jpg

Wow, Buddy, I think you captured the essence very well. I just want to hold that Lake tail-lock and stare at that awesome engraving for a week or three.

Buddy, great picture. Thanks for sharing. It was nice getting to meet you in Little Rock, paths crossed so many times but we never really got to say hello/acknowledge each other before.

Awesome picture Buddy. When I saw the title I could already see the knife , a Lake.... I love Ron's folders , then I saw the actual picture and all I saw was the engraving. Amazing work.

Buddy, I'm glad to see you posting in the pound as I have admired your work for some time.

You are right about the knife and engraving. It would be hard to describe the mastery of either of the craftsmen who put it together. I can only imagine the challenge of trying to capture it in a camera but, as usual, you have done an excellent job. Three masters came together to provide us mere mortals with a truely stunning work of art.

Thank you for sharing,
Carey

Back