Knife from my Great Granddad

Raymond Richard

Forum Owner & Moderator
I'd got a call a few weeks ago from a fellow in Florida wanting to know if I had any information about the knife in this thread. I'd told him all I knew about Great Granddad's business was from what my Dad had told me and the few pages that were in New England Cutlers. I'd told him I had never seen a knife like that and the RICHARD'S mark I had never seen before. Anyway I had asked him to please send me a picture of the knife but that still didn't help. I said if he wanted to send me the knife I would take it to the OKCA Show and have it looked at there so anyway he'd sent me the knife and I received it yesterday and called him to let him know it got here. I told him I would get the knife back to him after the show and he said he wanted me to keep it. Also that he did more investigation and did find out that the knife was made by Stephen Richard in the 1890's. Probably the bowie that Jim carried. :D What a Great Surprise to receive this knife! The knife has a 5" blade, its 7/8" wide, and 3/32" thick. Its got a painted black wood handle and is 9 1/2" overall. Not sure if the sheath was really part of the knife. Here's a couple pictures of it.

IMG_3200.JPG

IMG_3202.JPG

What a great story... I am excited to have a couple of knives that my grandfather made in the 50's-60's... I can only imagine how amazing it must be to know that your Great grandfather had his hands on that knife over 110 years ago.

Glad it found it's way home to you. I have a small machette with buffalo horn handle that was presented to my grandfather in WW2 and my father just gave me my grandfathers pocket watch with his initials on the case. I received them because I was named after him. He also fought in WW1.

I feel sorry for people in the future...what will be handed down to them? Grandpa's or Great Grandpa's iPod or their first 4G phone?

Thanks Raymond, cherish that knife.

Pat

I feel sorry for people in the future...what will be handed down to them? Grandpa's or Great Grandpa's iPod or their first 4G phone?

This made me laugh out loud at the thought... then it made me sad... Now I am wondering what really WILL be handed down by the time its my Grandkids... (Im only 30)...

Raymond those pages from the catalog were awesome. It's like getting to walk next to your Great Grandpa. What a stand up man. I'll take a dozen blades for $1.00 please. You should keep watch on eBay for Richards knives in Vintage knives. You might be able to bring a few more home. Thanks for sharing.

Pat

Back