AKA Score!!!

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
I wasn't sure where to post this. So, when in doubt, throw it in the Dog Run!

Sunday afternoon I was walking around to the suppliers at the show and came across a board of Ironwood in a box labeled "Must Go". It wasn't very big (12" x 8" x 1/4"), but had some really nice figure to it. Unfortunately, the gentleman had walked away from his table. I decided to continue looking around and come back later. When I went back about 30 minutes later, I found that the piece was gone. The supplier told me he had another piece of Ironwood and then proceeded to walk me to the end of his table to show it to me. It was massive!

When I seen the piece the gentleman was showing me, I immediately told him it was out of my price range. This board was 1.5" thick, approximately 28"-32" long, and 6"-9" wide. I guess he just really didn't want to carry this piece home with him because he kept dropping the price lower and lower until I could no longer say I didn't have the cash to buy it (somehow he knew exactly what I had left in my wallet). I think I may be able to get a block or two and maybe a few sets of scales out of it.

Here are the pics.

attachment.php

attachment.php

IW1.jpg
IW2.jpg

Nice score, Murph. Cutting up a chunk of Ironwood is always like opening a Christmas present, you never know quite what you're going to find, which makes it all the more exciting and perilous.

Todd, "DeltaShooter", has offered to help me when the time comes. I haven't a clue as to how to go about it. You guys will most likely see this stuff put to use on a very special project in a few months.

Murph,
Photos just don't do that peice justice. Whenever you get ready we’ll get together and get it laid out and cutup.
I scored a neat little patch knife there also.

For those that don’t know the AKA show is probably the biggest little show in North America. It is a forged blade collector’s paradise.

Todd

I agree Todd. I think it is a very under rated show. I've read a couple of articles over the years where some of the top makers have referred to it as the World Series of knife shows. Some of our top collectors and dealers frequent this show each year.

Back