Two Primitive Tomahawks

Church & Son

2 through the haft 'hawks. Although I can’t find historical proof, It makes sense that this would have been the evolutionary track from stone axes to more modern styles of tomahawks.
The first one has 22″ haft and the head is 7.5″ across. It was hot cut from a 100 yr. old plow, bevels and edges were forged then cleaned up with files. Heat treated in salt water. The head is held in place with steel pins and rawhide thongs. This one has a rawhide wrap stitched on a Oak haft. The wrap was painted in the Native American way with natural pigments. A small rawhide over veg-tan sheath with some simple stamping and a few trade beads covers the blade.
(click to enlarge)

The second one has a 19″ haft and is 8″ from blade to end of spike. Made from the same plow steel as the other, forged and heat treated the same. The haft is Sweetgum, has a stitched rawhide wrap and a little twisted fringe from under the head thongs. The rawhide over veg-tan blade cover has a rawhide concho and a few trade beads with a antler button to keep it tight.

The hafts are from seasoned wood I split and spokeshave to shape, then torched and scraped. Leather and wood is finished with my homebrew of grease, dirt, homemade dye and varnish. Forged in a charcoal forge, no electricity is used. Thanks for looking........Randy

$ 150.00 each shipped Paypal or MO

Last edited:
How about a $100.00 bill each, Lovely Bride says" You either have to stop making them or some have to go, they're laying around everywhere".........Thanks......Randy

Back