i have some oil questions!

Vance C.

either im blind, or im really bad at using the internet, but i cant find places in my area(colorado) or websites to buy heat treating oil, i also would like to hear what oils people have good results with when using 1095 steel and the like. im building a nice & big quench tank, and want to buy some nice oil. thanks!

I have had good results from Brownells Tough Quench, I heat it to 150 degrees F when quenching 1095. It is a medium speed oil so is perfect for O1 steel when used at room temp. Parks 50 is the oil of choice for 1095, but is hard to find in small quanities, and is costly. Someone here may be able to point you to a place to get Parks 50. You can get the Tough Quench from Brownells.com they are a gunsmith supplier.
Hope this helps.
Dale

I don't use straight 1095, but I do make my damascus with 1095 & 15N20. I bought some McMaster Carr 11 sec quench oil and it has been doing pretty well for me as far as rockwell is concerned. I got it through McMaster Carr, and if you google it, you should be able to get to their site. It is a company that sells a bunch of stuff.

The Parks 50 sounds like it is the best choice for 1095 as stated before, but it seems like you have to search around for it. The 11 sec oil I bought was very reasonable and you can get it in 1 gal bottles. The Brownell's Tough Quench might be a similar/good choice also.

What part of Colorado are you from?

im in unincorporated jeffco. and thanks, im doing an ammo can quench tank so ill need quite a bit, thanks guys!

I'd recommend calling Maxim Oil Co. in Fort Worth, TX... they have a few different quenchants for sale, including their own brand, but they also carry Parks #50 which is one of the fastest (if not THE fastest) oils you can get for quenching 1095.

Here is an excerpt from an email from one of maxim's reps:
"Also, we finally received the Park #50 and now have eleven 5 gallon pails in
stock in Ft Worth, TX. If you don't mind... please spread the word as I
would like to sell most of these #50 pails prior to getting more.
I have been trying to find ways to lower the costs.

As of 12/29/10, Maxim will offer the following to any who might call:

Duratherm 48- in a 5-gallon pail, 12.50 per gallon(62.50), plus fedex frt.
From Fort Worth, TX

Park # 50- in a 5-gallon pail, 14.50 per gallon(72.50), plus fedex frt.
From Fort Worth, TX

Folks need to ask for Carla(817-293-4-OIL); she takes most credit cards and
will be able to "fixem-up".

I've scoured the internet and talked to several people over the last several months, and I have NOT been able to find it cheaper than this, if I can find it at all. It's definitely worth the investment if you can afford it, and if you plan on making a lot of knives.

Also, chances are very great that if you don't need all 5 gallons, you can EASILY find another knife maker who will buy the remainder off of you.

thanks guys, i got a 5 gallon bucket of parks #50 from maxim oil, it cost me about 110 dollars altogether to get shipped to colorado. i have used it on two knives so far, and seems to be pretty excellent!

Back