Janik Military Build WIP

Steven Janik

SUPERMOD & AWARDS BOSS
Got the blade back from heat treat today. This is my falling swedge flat grind and is bead blasted.
attachment.php

attachment.php

I use this drilling fixture and stack the scales under the blade and drill everthing thru at once.
attachment.php

Here I traced out the blade and rough profiled the scales (black paper micarta) and glued and pressed some white vulcanized spacer material to them.
attachment.php

attachment.php

I'm using a plug cutter here to cut some biscuits of micarta to plug the bolts later.
attachment.php

milbld 009.jpgmilbld 011.jpgmilbld 002.jpgmilbld 007.jpgmilbld 003.jpgmilbld 010.jpg

I've bored the four plugs I will need and now need to cut them loose.
attachment.php

Slicing thru the stock will loosen up the plugs.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Here's my rough scales with liner, plugs and blade.
attachment.php

I bolt the two scales together to shape them on belt sander. I do this without the blade because I dont want to hit the steel with a belt because it is already bead blasted and etched at this point.
attachment.php

attachment.php

milbld 012.jpgmilbld 017.jpgmilbld 013.jpgmilbld 014.jpgmilbld 018.jpgmilbld 016.jpg

The scales are bolted together and the profile is shaped out on a belt sander.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Scales are dry fit to both sides of the blade.
attachment.php

Threaded sleeves are pressed into the tang so the scales can be bolted on.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Scales are glued, bolted and clamped before final sanding.
attachment.php

milbld 025.jpgmilbld 024.jpgmilbld 020.jpgmilbld 023.jpgmilbld 021.jpgmilbld 026.jpg

The micarta plugs I cut earlier are now glued and hammered into the scales to cover the bolts.
attachment.php

Rough sanded first then hand sanded the handle starts to take shape.
attachment.php

Sanded scales with one coat of gun oil. Still haven't touched the metal of the blade or tang with anything that will scratch it. Whew!
attachment.php

attachment.php

Getting started on a black kydex sheath.
attachment.php

attachment.php

milbld 028.jpgmilbld 031.jpgmilbld 041.jpgmilbld 036.jpgmilbld 040.jpgmilbld 038.jpg

Heating up the kydex, folding it around the knife and the sheath in the press after cooling.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Clamping the botton closed after a little extra heat.
attachment.php

Laying out the large tekloc clip. I'm setting it up fpr a rightie but it can be easily reversed for a lefty.
attachment.php

attachment.php

milbld 042.jpgmilbld 046.jpgmilbld 048.jpgmilbld 043.jpgmilbld 047.jpgmilbld 049.jpg

One the kydex is formed and trimmed the remainig rivets are installed, the tekloc is fit and the knife is final fitted.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

milbld 051.jpgmilbld 056.jpgmilbld 054.jpgmilbld 050.jpgmilbld 053.jpgmilbld 055.jpg

I set the bevels and sharpen the knife.
attachment.php

A simple black papacord lanyard is tied on.
attachment.php

A good coat of paste wax is applied and buffed off with a soft cloth.
attachment.php

A couple views of the finished product.
attachment.php

attachment.php

If you look closely here you can see my makers mark applied as a "ghost etch" (Sorry, that ones a secret)
attachment.php

Thanks for looking. I'm sure Murph will find a good home for this one.
Regards,
Steve

milbld 070.jpgmilbld 057.jpgmilbld 076.jpgmilbld 059.jpgmilbld 060.jpgmilbld 071.jpg

I'll get a better pic of the makers mark.

Attachments

• milbld 069.jpg
    milbld 069.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
That is so sweet, I am sure one of my fellow servicemen will be very happy. Thanks for your support it means alot to us.

You got mad skills bro. Absolutely beautiful work! :35: Nice start on your website also. :thumbup1:

And a big Happy Birthday to you! :happybday:

Back