Computer

Ernie Swanson

SASSY PINK LUUNCHBOX KNIFE MAKER
Ok guys I am in need of some computer help.

We were just given a home computer but its a little out dated.
I am wondering if I add some ram and stuff if it would be worthy.

It is a HP pavillion xt973
Intel Celeron
128 mb ram
running windows xp

The most ram it can hold is 512 mb

I am thinking of adding (2) 256 Ram, a new dvd-rw drive, a new lcd monitor, and installing windows vista.
How hard would it be to add a bigger hard drive? how big can I go with this system?

Also would all this be cheaper and just as good as buying a $500 home computer from wally world?

Things I am going to use it for is basically just storing, viewing, and printing pictures and burning video.
Microsoft word and spreadsheet
Internet, uploading and downloading
little to no gaming.
Mostly just pictures and Internet.

Last edited:
Sup Big E
First and foremost, DON'T GET VISTA! If you are going to get a new operating system, go for Win 7. I service computers for a small side job and I flat out will not service PCs with Vista because that is how much I hate it lol. I tell people to upgrade to Win 7 and the problem will be solved.
I also happen to work for walmart and can tell you first hand the computers we sell are not that great. Can't beat the price, but you get what you pay for...
Win 7 is designed to run on very little computing power. Going from 126 to 512 RAM will be a huge performance boost. Also, swapping out a hard drive is a snap, you just have to get the right kind of drive, most likely it is an IDE drive.
If you want, PM me and we can hook up on the phone. This is prolly easier to talk about rather than typing back and forth. I'd be glad to help you figure out what the easiest most cost effective solution is.

~EP

I'm not very pc savy Ern, but I would talk to a local independent pc repair place and get a quote on upgrades to what you have. If it's anywhere near $300 or more, I'd look at buying a new pc. PCs are pretty cheap these days if you're not a "gamer" that needs all kinds of memory and processor speed.

Best Buy has a new 15.6" laptop with 4GB of memory and a 320GB hard drive for $399. It's not top of the line, but I'm sure it would do everything you are looking to do. Dell has a deal on a similar laptop.

Hey, I like vista:) I have it on my laptop and dont have any problems with it, Plus the reason why I want to upgrade to vista
is that I already have the install disk. If I bought windows 7 could I use it on bot computers?

I know I am limited on the size of ram I can install but is there a limit for hard drives?
also do I just install a second hard drive or do i have to replace the one thats in there?

The computer I was looking at at walmart is a HP with 3 gb ram and 500gb hard drive with a bigger lcd monitor.

Ok I was just looking at the system requirements of windows 7 and it says 1 gb ram I would only have 512.

Last edited:
Back