D-2 heat treat

genewiseman

I have just ordered a oven and should get it fed-ex any day now. I am wanting to start using D-2 for my folder blades and springs. Up until now, I have been using 1095 and a torch for heat treating. I need instruction on how to use the foil that you put on the blades while in the oven and information on plate quenching as I have heard that will keep my blades from warping.
Are there any instructional books or videos on basic heat treating procedures for knife makers? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot,
Gene

Gene, hope this can help. The way that I do my foil, is to cut a large enough piece to get a double fold or seal around all edges while not crimping it so close to the blade that you puncture it with the point or other sharp edge, when the foil is cut then I make an envelope by folding in half, and double crimp the long side first, then one end, insert blade, and a small piece of brown paper, (this helps to burn off oxygen in the packet), at the tang end of the blade, then gently push the envelope flat, starting at the sealed end working to the open end, in an attempt to rid the envelope of air, then double crimp the remaining end, you should have all your edges crimped tight, and outside of the blade edges. For plate quenching, I use 1 inch aluminum blocks, and place the whole envelope between them and clamp tight, this works for keeping blades straight, only if your blade has a flat surface to lay against the plate, for its full length, or at least most of its length. I hope this helps.
Dale

One way you can do it Gene is to heat treat your blade blank and then grind it hard. You can do a nicer grind and not having to worry about it warping from uneven grinding.

Thanks a lot guys. that helps a lot. Another question: If I grind after heat treating (that is how I have been doing it with 1095), will I still need to use foil on my blades or will the tangs clean up easy enough? How about the springs?
Thanks for the help.
Gene

D2 is one of the steels that will benifit greatly with cold treatment,after plate quench to room temp into the freezer,dry ice treatment is better,LN is the best.Then temper 3 times at 425.
I have not done any slip joint springs in D2 so can't help with temp for that.
Stan

D-2 is pretty stable. I find warpage to be of little concern unless the cross section is extremely thin, like a paper thin fillet knife. I recommend grinding before heat treating. other than that, find a recipe that you like and stick with it. if you can maintain an accurate temperature for a specific time D-2 will be a pleasant and trouble free steel.

Back