A very special Frontier Long Knife....

ChuckBurrows

In 2003 I began collaborating with bladesmith Gib Guignard, who shared my love of the American frontier and the gear carried by those who lived there and then. A short two years later Gib passed on, but before he did he made this very special blade for me as surprise birthday present. The blade shape and size is based on the relic blade from the dig at Ft. Ticonderoga. While all of Gib's blades have been great this one is extra special to me not only because he forged it with me in mind, but also because Gib collected several old shear steel knives (mostly late 19th Century relics - not collectibles) and then heat and beat them into this 9" blade. Shear steel is one of the three period steels and was used for better qulity blades. I kept this blade in reserve for some time until I finally came up with a piece of white tail antler that fit my hand perfectly - the following knife is what came this special collaboration developed into - Thanks Gib!
sheep-bag-horn-8-2011.jpg

The grip is fitted with a pewter bolster, rawhide wrap, and decorated with some simple file work on the blade and handle, and has some brass brads just under the crown.
PS the sheath is in the works.............

Chuck,
When a person puts their heart into their work, as you do, it really shows. All of your pieces speak as if they are alive and have a soul. This piece speaks even louder, it is a great creation by the two of you. Wade

That is an awesome knife with extraordinary sentiment. He would truly be proud to see what a wonderful job was done. Your work astounds me Chuck.

Pat

Thanks you guys and Dan yes this one is MINE ALL MINE! I also have one of Gib's hawk heads and one other blade that is mine. Other than that I've got just a few other CactusRose pieces to make up for sale and then it will be the end of an era......

Awesome knife.Truly a work of art.Both of your love of knife making shows.Can't wait to see the sheath.Thanks for sharing.

Davin

Back