Simple kiridashi

cardoso5fr

Simple kiridashi , 90MCV8 (O2), oil hardening, flash tempering, Righter chisel grind, 19,3 cm long, 14mm high, 3,5 mm thick, 6,2 cm sharp.

DSC00123.jpg

DSC00124.jpg

DSC00125.jpg

DSC00126.jpg

Nice piece of work there. I like the Kiradashi in general but the longer more streamlined versions like yours appeal to me much more and are far more useful to me anyway than the short stubby looking ones. That one is just a few steps away from being a friction folder or if done a bit wider with that same shape to the blade they make dandy folders. I've got one on me that I use and carry quite a bit and regardless of all my latest and greatest in the way of new fangled super steel blades here available to me in my collection, some made by me some not there is nothing that cuts as effortlessly as this Japanese Wood Worker blade I put into one of my folder bodies. Something to be said for old world traditions and craftsmanship when a design works that well. Yours looks much the same as the one I'm using other than the width so I know that thing is a joy to use.

Thank you very much for the kind word. The new owner just received the kiridashi today :D. i hope he will agreed you that is a great tool. That is the first time i did a so big kiridashi, generaly i do some very small cutting piece :D

That one is ultra "handy". I agreed, the traditionnal design worked really perfectly. Even if i'm not japanese, i find they are something special to make and think cutting tool.

Back