Phill Hartsfield custom Push knife

bdt0307

I have a Stainless steel salesman that recently discovered my afinity for all things "edged". As it turns out he at one time also had this fascination and bought a number of knives. Since he has been aware of my "hobby", he has been gifting me his knives. The first 2 were an early Protech Stinger & a Kershaw Trooper. His next visit blessed me with an early '80's Al Mar Eagle with Ivory Micarta scales.
Monday he stopped by with the Phill Hartsfield Push knife that he ordered directly from the man himself. My friend claims it is D2, I have a tendency to believe him as he is in the steel industry and knows the difference between A2 and D2. The blade is 2-1/2" long, 4-3/4" OAL (both sides have a grind). Cocobolo scales w/brass fittings & a stainless steel lined leather sheath. My friend stated he paid about $300 15-20 years ago, I showed my knife dealer last night and he offered me $500 as is.
Here she is:
Knives001-2.jpg

mr hartsfield passed away recently. so his knives are really in demand but i think that if you hold on to it you could get more for it at a larger show. hartsfields have alway been very collectable. your dealer offer is a good wholesale price . but this is just my opinion . $ 500 is 500 dollars, it is the old bird in the hand thing.

Last edited:
Cool little knife.
I was not aware of Mr. Hartsfield´s passing. The style he created, however, will stay alive in a number of makers´ work.

mr hartsfield passed away recently. so his knives are really in demand but i think that if you hold on to it you could get more for it at a larger show. hartsfields have alway been very collectable. your dealer offer is a good wholesale price . but this is just my opinion . $ 500 is 500 dollars, it is the old bird in the hand thing.

This knife is a gift to me from another admirer of knives. Since he put forth the effort to commission this knife and then wait however long it was just to gift it to me a couple of decades later tells me to hold on to this knife. When the right price or trade comes along I might consider it, but right now this knife stays within arm's reach.

Good for you sir. I am always glad to hear when a collector wants to keep something special and profit is not the sole motive in acquisition.

That's a neat looking little knife there. Enjoy.:thumbup1:

mr. hartsfield help me alot when i was starting out. he was something. he will be missed. good for you ,keep it till some thing bettercomes along owinng a earler hatsfield put you in the the bigs

Last edited:
Back