Two integrals inspired by Gerhard Wieland

toddmiller

This is my first post here and I really like your site. I am relatively new at all this, I have been at it as a serious hobby for about a year.

Every time I look at Gerhard Wieland's work it just blows me away. In any case this first design was inspired, if not stolen, from one of his fighters on his website. I purposely didn't look at it while I was making this one and perhaps I should have. I think this is a pretty nice knife but it is a long way from the elegance of the original. It is W-1 steel 12" overall and blade is about 7" .

The second one was also inspired by his style but I feel it is much more my own. I am not sure what type of knife to call it as it pretty much designed itself with my somewhat rudimentary forging skills. I knew I wanted an integral and after I made the Damascus billet I wasn't about to shorten the blade and "waste" that Damascus. So it turned out pretty long. It is 17 1/2 " overall and the blade with the integral is 12 1/2". It is a ladder pattern, 1095 and bandsaw blade. There are a couple problems with it. There is a small inclusion that didn't show up until the final grind, oh well so be it. And if my photography skills were better (I am working on them) the Damascus also has a weird etching, the part near the spine etched heavier than the rest of it. I was prepared to grind it out and redo it but I asked Tom Ferry about it at the class I took. Maybe everybody else knows this but I didn't, but I heated the spine up to straighten it before I etched it and it turns out that causes differential etching with Damascus. The only cure is to completely heat treat it again and I wasn't going to do that. I actually kind of like it because I learned so much with this knife. I feel like this is the first knife that I have made that has been truly successful even with its problems.

Thanks for looking Todd MillerDSC_0035.jpgDSC_0019.jpgDSC_0022.jpgDSC_0042.jpgDSC_0046.jpgDSC_0049.jpgDSC_0052.jpg

Very well done! I like the unique way your handles are shaped. If you have only been at it for a year, I can't wait to see what you are making after 5 years.

You've only been doing this a year and are turning out beauties like that! Very, very impressive work.

Beautiful knives! Great looking craftsmanship. Welcome to KD. Look forward to seeing more work.

Davin

Outstanding! Mr. Wieland's work is some of my favorite so I'm very biased.
Lovely work Todd, I like it alot.
Dozier

Back