Tactical Hokkaido

John Barker

SUPERModerator & KNIFE MAKER
My Hokkaido design with new swedge grind. This one is CTS-XHP 3/16" thick at the ricasso. Bead blast finish with 6" cutting edge. Overall length is 11.5". Rockwell hardness is 61. Scales are bead blasted black G-10. Tapered tang. Kydex sheath with bead blasted stainless steel hardware. This one is off to Japan. Comments welcome.
-John
DSC07798.jpg

DSC07793.jpg

DSC07794.jpg

DSC07802.jpg

DSC07785.jpg

DSC07799.jpg

DSC07806.jpg

John,
I really like this design you have great grinds and lines coming together here. Keep it up.
Eric

Looks great John! When you did your makers mark on the bead blasting did you do anything different? I have a few that are going to be bead blasted and have never etched my mark on bead blasted steel before.
Thanks and keep the pics rolling!

~EP

A great looking blade , Hokkaido great name for a beautiful place . Been there a few times , honshu Island is not too far from there either

Absolutely awesome John!You do some beautiful work. I've got to get to your shop,and get some tips.

Davin

Wow! It's been very cool watching you over the years John. I remember the first couple of blades you sold on bf. You've really expanded and challenged yourself with these newer designs.

Really nice John! But then I have never seen anything you made that wasn't perfect. I wish I had half the talent you do.

Thanks everyone.

Davin, we will have to get together some time.

James, where have you been man? Good to see you.

-John

John, Eric brought up a question about your makers mark. It looks very clean and sharp. I would like to know the font or text size you are using. I am contemplating a new makers mark but want to keep the text small and clear. Finally, great looking knife. Thanks, Dan

Last edited:
John, this is one of my all time favorite knife designs - it bridges the gap from the Shogun era to the Star Wars era IMHO. In other words it has the traditional tanto look that seems to have been taken into the next century. I really like the bead blasted steel, but I also like the satin finished Hokkaidos. It is the design, not the finish, that makes these knives what they are.

Back