How do you shorten a blade?

Z

zualet

I have a Swamp Rat Hairy Carry fixed blade. I need to reduce the length of the blade approximately half an inch. How do I do this? Can I use a grinder? Should I send it to a professional?

I'd just buy a smaller knife or make a new one that fit my needs.

Welcome to Knife Dogs.

Last edited:
I agree that would be ideal. However, what was the correct length needs to be changed. Any other ideas?

The amount of labor involved might not be worth the return. That is a simple design and would most likely be easier to remake in your desired dimensions. How much shorter do you want it?

Half an inch. I understand this seems silly. The reason why i am asking is because of a new work rule that requires the blade of any fixed blade carried needs to be three inches in length or shorter. I really like the knife and my carry rig is set up for this knife. I do not want to sell it and buy another knife for the purpose of half an inch. I was hoping that I could grind the blade to get to three inches or take it to someone.

You can regrind the tip, just work slow and keep the blade cool. What kind of tools do you have at your disposal? You'll need to reshape the profile and then clean up the bevels.

The problem is that the knife will need to be disassembled and then reground to maintain the proper shape and bevel geometry. Then the knife will most likely need to be reheat treated, finished, and re-assembled. That is a huge investment in time and resources for half an inch.

When I read the lead I realized that I've never been faced with this problem before. My big problem is not making the blade shorter-as in if you need a knife, get a knife; if you need a pry bar, get a pry bar. Having snapped the end off my favorite pocket knife unsticking a window, I can say from experience that it can be done; though in your case I'm not certain that I would. Just like any other blade you will have to do your grinding carefully and you will have to make just a couple of passes and then cool the blade. It will also look like it has been reworked unless you are very skillfull doing it. Personally, I'd look for or make a knife with a length of no more than 3".

Doug Lester

P.S. I reground the tip without disassembling the knife but I was only grinding the tip not the full blade.

Last edited:
The problem is that the knife will need to be disassembled and then reground to maintain the proper shape and bevel geometry. Then the knife will most likely need to be reheat treated, finished, and re-assembled. That is a huge investment in time and resources for half an inch.
I respectfully disagree. I've modified a few knives for people for the same reasons the OP mentioned - they really liked the knife but it wasn't legal or within policy for the owner to carry at the "stock" blade length. I looked up some pics of that knife and don't see why it would have to be disassembled to rework the tip. Yes it takes care and skill to do but makers grind and finish hardened steel all the time, it's not that big of a deal.

Boy, I just couldn't wait to get to the end of this thread to give my comments about shortening the blade and Doug beat me to it.

I was going to say, "I have shortened numerous blades over the years,,,,, never on purpose!" then I always said, "Durn, I wish I hadn't done that." And I know that all of you believe that Durn is the word or series of words that I used.

:s12137:

Is it possible? Sure it is. If done correctly/carefully, you may not even need to re-heat treat or disassemble the blade. If you're REALLY good (or if you send it to someone who is) it may not even look like it's been reworked that much, or at all. You will have to match the grind type and the bevel angles though. If it's flat ground, you'll need a flat platen, if it's hollow, you'll need a contact wheel matching the diameter of the original, and if it's convex ground, you'll need a slack belt grinder.

For as much as the knife is likely worth (I'm guessing it was about $250ish new?), I think I'd try selling it, and seeing if you could find one that meets your specs. Heck, if you find the right maker, you might even be able to have a custom made for less than the Swamp Rat costs, or for just a little more than you might sell it for.

You have to ask yourself what it's worth to you if you mess it up, versus how much you'd want to spend for a different knife that already meets your needs.

Is it a project for someone that's never ground a blade before? No.
Is it a project for a pro that's done this sort of thing before? Yes.
Get quotes from a couple different makers and see if their labor is worth it to you, to keep a knife you already like and get it modified to suit your needs.
Is it worth keeping your SR as-is and ordering a similar handmade knife to spec? Maybe, depends on your budget and how many knives you feel like owning. Again, shop around for quotes.

Last edited:
A lot depends on if you want the blade to have the same shape afterwards as it did at the start.

The blade can be shortened, but will have to be reground. You have to do it slowly so it doesn't get too hot.
-John

Back