Balance

Roger

What factors come into play when thinking of knife balance? I've seen threads about balance when working with a knife and balance to a throwing knife. Any input appreciated.

Thanks.

This is a great question Roger. The only thing I do know about the subject , is a knife that is balanced feels much better in the hand to me. I made this large " Pocket Bowie " and its very well balanced , as you can see. I know it felt better than the one I made before it , that was not balanced. It was alot of work too. If the blade was much longer I dont think I could have achieved this.

Sancho.jpg

Some things to consider are size and use of the knife. A knife that is going to for slicing and general work probably will feel better with the ballance more toward the handle. A blade that will be used for heavy chopping, like clearing brush, would probably do better with the center of ballance out towards the tip. Short bladed knives are pretty much going to ballance back into the handle reguardless of what you do.

Doug Lester

Small knife, balance/ COG should be in the grip so that if you turn your palm up and straighten your fingers out, the knife will lay across your palm and not tip down and fall. IMO this is best for technical work, but it can cause issues with the way the knife rides in the sheath (wants to overturn).
Larger knives with the size and mass for chopping should be balanced forward of the hand. How far forward depends on personal preference.

"Balance" takes in a LOT of various attributes and factors. If we're talking about "balance" in the sense of how a knife handles/feels, there is no better way to achieve it than to create knives using distal tapers. Just about any knife, regardless of the length, will be lighter, faster, better feeling, and overall stronger than a similar blade where distal tapers were not used. I personally believe that when properly applied, distal tapers in a knife are the foundation for a finished piece that exhibits "balance".

"Balance" also entails just about every other aspect of constructing a knife.....blade to handle ratios, choice of handle material(s), choice of fitting type(s)/Materials, grinds and the geometry they produce, and the list goes on an on.
The trick with all of this is understanding, and then bring together those elements that result in a well "balanced" knife. In many cases its not something that can be listed out, or quantified into a "one size fits all" type answer. In order to achieve "balance" different aspects will have to be considered on different types of knives...about the only constant that I can point to is the distal tapers....if done correctly for the given knife, it is difficult for the finished knife to not feel or look "balanced". That doesn't mean that using distal tapers alone will ensure "balance"....only that the foundation has been established. Beyond that the maker must consider carefully ALL the other characteristics they impart to the knife. Generally time and experience are the best teachers. Once a maker builds a few knives that come out "balanced" they will quickly discover that anything less is unacceptable to them.

Dwane, that is balanced! Thanks gentlemen for the responses it helps a lot to know that balance is weight and visual.

I personally believe that when properly applied, distal tapers in a knife are the foundation for a finished piece that exhibits "balance"... Once a maker builds a few knives that come out "balanced" they will quickly discover that anything less is unacceptable to them.

Agreed! Once you make or use a couple that are correct, you'll be spoiled.

Back