Makers - what do you want to achieve in 2011?

Stew

So, as a maker what are you hoping to attempt / succeed at in 2011?

Me, I want it to be the year of the forge and folder. Two areas I want more experience in.

There is actually alot I want to achieve!!

Folders, guards, bolsters, hidden tangs, and forge.

I am nervous to try hidden tangs with guards as I dont know how to get the fitment from guard to blade right.
Folders........well they are tough:)
And I want to build a forge and try hammering a bit. I need to try to find an anvil thought.

Oh and I would like to visit more makers so I can learn more!!

Last edited:
Efficiency in getting batches ground and out/back and finished. Right now I am too slooooow. Of course it wouldn't hurt to get more sheath work in as well. Larry

I have a goal for the new year to be more productive with a new outdoor line of knives without sacrificing quality. And staying positive through the ups and downs!
Sincerely,
Sampson Knifeworks

My main goal is to learn as much as I can . Get an actual shop set up . Buy or build a new grinder. Aww heck most everything really .

Rebuild the shop but I still can't decide whether to keep it in the basement or put it out in its own building. For knives, I want to work on sharper bevel lines and more detailed custom handles.

I want to build one damascus folder per month. This year I want to get my forging done before the hot weather sets in.

It's a great idea to set goals.

-Forge CLOSER to shape :) LOL
-Pass the Journeyman Smith performance test
-Challenge myself to refine my plunge/choil/ricasso area
-increase the precision of my final product
- *finish*finish*finish* work towards finer finish
-Plan my work and work my plan

That should keep me busy for the entire year :)

-Josh

-Plan my work and work my plan
Well said Josh!!
I would like to learn to forge, make some sheaths, build a descent grinder,last but not least I'm thinking of building a new shop.

I would love to make good finnished knives this year and start selling my knifes instead of giving them away as I am doing at this stage. Folders and forging well we will see next year.

Last edited:
My main goal is to learn as much as I can . Get an actual shop set up . Buy or build a new grinder. Aww heck most everything really .

I've got to go along with Dan..I also want to get my large propane forge completed so I can try some forge welding..I've got a 'mini' forge something like the one that Larry Zoeller has on his website but it doesn't come up to welding temp !

Make a bunch of kitchen knives from AEB-L/13C26 (my first stainless knives) and really thin 3V. Sell some of them.

Fame, fortune and good looks!
Failing those, I want to get into high gear with my knives this year. I have been upgrading equipment, improving my processes, making prototypes, and proving them in use and in the sale market for the last couple of years. It's time to bring it all together and see where it goes (which means getting my butt off the forums and into the shop!).

2011 is where I start! I have some pretty good plans for an electric heat treat furnace that I came up with. And a belt grinder is next on the list. All in all I've got a lot to do!

Learn forging, finish a folder, Get enough Knives of good quality that I feel like I want to sell one, And what Josh said make a plan and work a plan.

I am really hoping to refine my knife making process and gain confidence in it. Now I spend way to much time fiddeling and fixing little mistakes and second guessing myself.

Back