Late Christmas gifts

Josh Dabney

It seems like forever since I've posted any COMPLETED knives, LOL.

With my Parents comming to the house for 12 days in early Jan. I told them that they'ld have to accept belated Chrismas gifts this year but that I'd make them both a knife while they were here visiting. By time we got settled in, detailed our trucks etc I ended making these two knives in 6 days :les: Thats definately a landspeed record for me and although fit on the knives was great, finish was not what it could've been with just a litle more time to work on them.

Worked on them right up till the evening before they left and still didn't really finish everything so I didn't even get any decent pics but had my Mom shoot a few once they got home.

My dad wanted something we'll call a camp kithchen knife. His specs were "something about the size of a butchers knife". This one is destined to spend it's life in a drawer in the camper and probably used to split watermelons :lol: I got started on a sheath just in case he wanted to carry it in the woods and use it for heavier chores and still haven't stitched it up.

Here's what I came up with- inspired by some of the earliest Bowies created after Jim's sandbar fight , the guardless coffin (Although this one is a hidden tang with guard)

-8 1/4" forged 1095 full length distal taper and a softback draw lightly antiqued
-Double wrought iron "guard" with a copper spacer
-Natural curly hickory from Burl Source with a True-Oil finish and 1/16" SS pin

Dadsguardlessbowie.jpg

I've been wanting to try my hand at Sheridan style carving for quite awhile now and this one seemed like a good one to do it on. The carving pattern is based on components of both a holster and sheath made by Sandy Morissy. It was dyed Saddle Tan with a coat of Eco-Flo Antique gel over top and a black dyed backround.
jan2011014.jpg

jan2011013.jpg

jan2011015.jpg

Mom wanted a paring knife with "a little longer blade than the throwaway paring knives I buy at the grocery store" :lol::lol::lol:

This one is 3 3/4" cutting edge and made from 1/16" ATS-34. YIKES is that stuff fun to grind, LOL
-Black paper micarta with red spacers and 1/16" SS pins
paringknife.jpg

Here's a couple of them together
Parentsknives.jpg

parentskitchenknives.jpg

Although the pics and finish aren't the best I thought I'd throw these up here and see what you guys think.

Thanks for looking and as always please feel free to comment critique etc, etc

Take care, Josh

bowie is very sweet and no doubt that little knife will be well received. Hopefully she doesn't 'throw it away' : )

Back