ammo can quench tank help!

Vance C.

for my next (couple) projects, i would like to make some ammo cans into quenching tanks, i was wondering if anyone had some info on the specific idea i wanted to do- an ammo can with a heating element in the bottom, now i have seen exactly one picture of it, and thought it was amazing! much better than my current oil trough. i was wondering what kind of element people use for these, and how to plug the hole in the bottom of the can reliably? thanks for your help!

I have a saved link to a tutorial on how to build it, but it doesn't list the part number or source.

I didn't build my tank from an ammo can, but you should be able to install the same type of element that I did.

What I used was an "adapter flange" for an electric hot water heater element, and then I screwed the applicable 120VAC heating element into that.

This is similar to the flange I used:
021-09285w.jpg

Just drill the applicable holes in order to fit and bolt it to your ammo can. One thing I'll recommend is NOT to use the included gasket for sealing your flange. I ended up using some heat rated silconized caulk to seal my flange. I simply appied caulk in between the flange and my tank and around the inside of my bolt heads, then I caulked around all of the holes on the interior of my tank and installed the washers, lock washers, and nuts onto the flange bolts. Worked like a charm.

I would definitely recommend checking your seal with water before you put your oil in, incase you do have a leak, as it's a little easier to clean up. ;)

Here's a picture of an element similar to what I used:
41bsyBLMOPL._SL160_.jpg

Last edited:
I'm using a 110V water heater element. They are about 6" long and available from any hardware store. Use a 1" electrical conduit threaded pipe coupling, cut it in half and weld it about an inch off the bottom of the ammo can. I like to drill the hole after I've welded the 'bung' on so the sheet metal can doesn't warp as much. Drill out the can through the bung and clean it up a bit with the file. Wrap a little teflon tape around the threads and screw it in. I was going to use a regular water heater T'stat but learned they might not be accurate enough. I'll just hang a thermocouple and read the temperature, when it's what I'm looking for unplug it. The temperature should hold well enough. Or, get a $40 PID off the interweb. You might want to bend a small piece of sheet metal as a 'tent' on top of the element in case you drop something, make sure it doesn't touch the element.

I like the flange, much easier than welding, are they readily available, a hardware store maybe?

I like the flange, much easier than welding, are they readily available, a hardware store maybe?

I purchased mine at a local hardware store (Menards). They typically have sections with an assortment of replacement parts for water heaters. I think I paid less than 10 bucks for mine.

awesome, thanks for all your help guys! and do any of you have a suggestion for a circulation system? i can just use a stick, but i was wondering if there was anything cheap and hands free that i could use in hot oil?

Back