Micarta Glue ?

What type of epoxy would you use to join micarta to the handle? 5 min epoxy or Gorilla Glue. Or something different? Thanks.

gorilla glue will be a lot stronger than 5 minute epoxy. you want to make sure and *really* scratch up the surface..

I use the slow curing epoxies. Sometimes I use JB weld (rated to 500°F), but is gray when it dries.

Ric

5-min epoxy is nearly worthless. At the very least, go for the slower-curing epoxies.

Do a search here or on google for "Glue Wars". LOTS of testing in there and it will open your eyes.

Now for my standard answer... bolts or peened pins hold scales onto a knife. Adhesives seal out moisture; any other benefit is a bonus.

I'm still using the Loctite E120 because it did very well in the epoxy wars and in my own test it out performed all other epoxy.

Is the Gorilla super glue different that the regular old gorilla glue? How does it compare to the E120 in a test?

I haven't tested them side by side, but from what I remember... Gorilla Glue is a gummy, rubbery glue, while Gorilla Super Glue is an impact resistant super glue. I have been using the Gorilla Super Glue for scales and handles...

That's why I didn't care for regular Gorilla glue because I was afraid you would see a seem. I may have to try the Gorilla super glue on for strength compared to the epoxy. I would like to have something as good that sets faster.

Hey Cliff! I though I was only one who actually used that epoxy. Good stuff, though I'm also trying out the latest Loctite Depend that Tracy carries.

I tried the depend a few years back and didn't have any luck at all with it. I followed the directions but must have went wrong somewhere because it didn't hold worth a hoot. I've heard a lot of guys brag on it so it must work and I've been thinking about giving it another try. I don't trust anything on a knife until I've tested it. The only thing I have against the E120 is that it takes so long to cure.

Back