ladder birdseye billet

ironarmknives

Bladesmith & Forum Owner/Moderator
OK this is my real first Ladder billet the other ones i've made have been a stamp ladder then grind off the high spots and i have never really like it ,it didn't seem to pop to me .so i milled this one its 80 layers of 1084-15n20 I've never put hole's in a billet for the birdeye look .so off to the forge to draw this billet out .it took 5 hours to mill this billet ,Just wanted to show this billet being made .
IMG_6632.jpg

IMG_6636.jpg

IMG_6639.jpg

IMG_6649.jpg

If I can add some advise, next time use a ball endmill. The square edges that you have milled in can cause stress in the billet. You should also round the top edges of each of the channels you milled.

You will like the difference between milled and pressed ladder patterns.

If I can add some advise, next time use a ball endmill. The square edges that you have milled in can cause stress in the billet. You should also round the top edges of each of the channels you milled.

Ya I don't have a ball endmill and i have rounded off the edges after i took the pic's and for stress" that was my back after standing there for hours LOL LOL " thanks for the help God know i need it just learning all these newer patterns i did read about rounding off all the edges .

OK I hate it when your right, the whole billet is crap one night and a day gone to the learning curve, maybe a horse pick or two LOL. I feel bad this is my first billet in a long time that just crapped on me. and i did round every thing off but not the square in the bottom of the mill "poor me "i feel like @@@@......LOL

I even used a round bar and hand forged the mill area to get it ready to draw out but it still cracked and it was at forging heat . dang it .

I'm right there with ya Clint. Unfortunately the learning curve in knifemaking sucks and is often times painfull and heart breaking.

I was at a buddy's shop today and we (he) was trying to correct a bowed blade I had ht'd and it snapped. It's kind of funny watching someone break one of your blades on accident. He turned ghost white and started stuttering. It was funny. I then looked at the blade and told him not to worry about it. He was really stressed til I looked at it closely and determined it had broken at a crack.

Last edited:
Back