Survival Kit

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
"Wil" posted a threads asking questions about what to pack and what suppliers were available for survival kit supplies and it got me thinking. I started looking around for supplies and a pack. I've bought a couple of different inexpensive packs to use and today I decided to raid my local surplus store and Gander Mountain. Normally I try to refrain from shopping at GM, but the military discount offsets the price enough on small things I guess.

So far, I've picked up this pack and the following.

2 Cigarette Lighters
1 Striker
1 Emergency Poncho
1 Small Waterproof Bag
1 Emergency Blanket
1 Bundle of 100' Blaze orange 3/16" flat utility cord
5 Pkg. (4 pouches each) Flammable Gel
1 Spindle (4 lengths) Snare Wire
1 100oz. Camelbak Bladder
1 Large Waterproof Bag

I still have more to go, I still need:

Compass
Pill Bottles w/ asprin, Ib, Tylenol
Bandages
Tourniquet (I think I have a couple of combat tourniquets somewhere)
10' x 10' Plastic Sheet
Pocket Hammock
Multi-tool
Small Fixed Blade
Folding Saw
Metal Container (for boiling water, I'm thinking coffee can or canteen cup)

and............... (Not sure what else yet)

attachment.php

Survival Pack 2.jpg

Great start Murph. I would add a magnifying glass (for fire starting and in case my reading glasses get broken), a small signal mirror, a lot more plastic bags (to catch rain water, store game you have killed and to keep everything dry), first-aid kit with somekind of neosporin or iodine, halazone tablets, some lightsticks, a few power bars and a small bottle of Tabasco. Hell, even muskrat tastes good with Tabasco (or so they say). Oh, and a couple of different size needles and thread, including some monofilament to sew yourself up if something bad happens.

Last edited:
All valide suggestions Denny, except the Tobasco. I think I'll throw in some freeze dried garlic instead. I haven't thought about which compass to add. Being a dumb infantryman, I'm rather fond of the GI issue lensatic compass.

Great start with a ruck, Brunton pocket transit is a very good compass, it can be mounted on a walking staff, as is a Suunto that has a compass and inclinometer to determine slope steepness.

I have one of the latest greatest Casio "Pathfinder" watches that has a pretty good compass. I need to check the calibration on it. Unfortunately, I have to read the encyclopedia of a manual that came with it to figure out how to calibrate it. It also has an altimeter, barometer, and thermometer. Of course it also helps that it is solar powered and an atomic.

I have one of the latest greatest Casio "Pathfinder" watches that has a pretty good compass. I need to check the calibration on it. Unfortunately, I have to read the encyclopedia of a manual that came with it to figure out how to calibrate it. It also has an altimeter, barometer, and thermometer. Of course it also helps that it is solar powered and an atomic.
Solar and atomic, can't go wrong with that. I don't use a hand held GPS, only a good quality liquid compass and a topographic map when in the back country. I usually check my compass declination by sighting a target on a long straight stretch of road and turning 180 for interpilation. I'd like to check into the "Pathfinder" you are talking about.

I have three of the Casio Triple Sensor series watches. My newest one is the "Casio Pathfinder Solar Atomic Triple Sensor PAW1100-1V". It has everything except a built in toilet paper dispensor on it. I also have the "Casio Triple Sensor ProTrek PRG-70T" which is fairly well equiped. It has everything except the altimeter and atomic feature. My first was one of the original models, the "Casio Triple Sensor Sea Pathfinder SPF40-1V". When I first got it I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. It didn't have the atomic feature nor an altimeter, but it did have "moon age and tide phase" graphs.

All in all, if I were to buy a new one today I would get the "PAW 100-1V". It has everything a land walker could need. There are a couple of models theat Casio considers to be higher end models, but all of the features are the same. The other models just have different case material and size. I'm not sure how much mine cost as I received it as a birthday present from Nadine, but I would be willing to bet my entire knife collection that she didn't pay MSRP (she's quite the bargain shopper and spends weeks searching the net for the best deals). Casio lists the MSRP at $300, but a quick Google search found it for $189 w/ free shipping at: http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/PAW1100-1V.asp

I have three of the Casio Triple Sensor series watches. My newest one is the "Casio Pathfinder Solar Atomic Triple Sensor PAW1100-1V". It has everything except a built in toilet paper dispensor on it. I also have the "Casio Triple Sensor ProTrek PRG-70T" which is fairly well equiped. It has everything except the altimeter and atomic feature. My first was one of the original models, the "Casio Triple Sensor Sea Pathfinder SPF40-1V". When I first got it I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. It didn't have the atomic feature nor an altimeter, but it did have "moon age and tide phase" graphs.

All in all, if I were to buy a new one today I would get the "PAW 100-1V". It has everything a land walker could need. There are a couple of models theat Casio considers to be higher end models, but all of the features are the same. The other models just have different case material and size. I'm not sure how much mine cost as I received it as a birthday present from Nadine, but I would be willing to bet my entire knife collection that she didn't pay MSRP (she's quite the bargain shopper and spends weeks searching the net for the best deals). Casio lists the MSRP at $300, but a quick Google search found it for $189 w/ free shipping at: http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/PAW1100-1V.asp

Thanks for the link, quite a bargain price, darn near half!

Looks good Murph. Maybe throw in a small fishing kit...make it yourself or check out this one (my favorite so far) -
http://www.bepreparedtosurvive.com/Survival Kits.htm
also, some water purification tablets or filter would be key.
the site that has the fishing kit also has some really good containers...including some for cooking or boiling water. I wish i could buy some wholesale. I guess I'm learning that its probably best to find a bag or container that you like first, then widdle down the list of all the great stuff you'd like to carry into what will fit into your container or bag. You're light years ahead of me on the navigational equipment. Good luck with the kit.

I'm not really into prepping for survival... I can just google "nearest Walmart" from my smart phone and go buy what I need when it all happens...

TOTALLY kidding... Great start Murph... I am slowly convincing my wife that we have GOT to have this sorta stuff done and ready for when TSHTF. I've got a good pack, and lots of stuff, just not organized and ready as a bug-out bag yet.

I always have waxed dental floss in my kits; fishing line,suture material,snare wire,sewing thread...oh,and you can use for flossing too!
Most dental floss has a tensile strength equivalent to 15-20lb test fishing line.

Good points Wil and IW. I had thought about the water tabs, but will most likely just get a dropper bottle and fill it with bleach. A drop or two of bleach (depending on the size of the container of water) will do the same thing. I'm also going to add some sheesecloth to my kit to use a a particle filter.

As for the dental floss and needles IW, thank you for bringing that up. I had completely forgotten about those. Dental floss has a multitude of applications. Heck, it will even work for snarring small game as long as you get the unflavored varitey. Also works great for mending clothing and gloves.

A good bandanna will work better than cheese cloth and you can wear it or use as a sling and many more uses get an over sized one.
I use my S.S. water bottle to heat water in over stove or fire, it fits into my S.S. cup and works great.
Michael

My bug-out bag has a couple additional items , a cresent wrench , heavy wire cutters , and hammer hawk . I also keep a magnesium bar and flint . I like the bandanna idea , too .

I have the mag/flint combo, hadn't thought of the wrench, and I'm still thinking of the right utility knife and or chopper to throw in. I'm seriously thinking of an inexpensive puuko or ESEE Izula as my utility knife and still thinking about a chopper.

Keep this thread going, people should know how to prepare for emergencies

Last edited:
Back