Wierd luck... I think... just got 2 free Baldors

S

Stocky

I've been hoping to scrounge enough to get a decent grinder for a while now, and out of the blue a bud needs help mounting a motor in the kitchen of his church. In the process a member of the congo comes over and gives me two Baldors that he says have been sitting in an office of his for a few years... his tenant bailed out. I look at them and say "what tha..".. They're beautiful. Both chrome... no, stainless it turns out. Fast forward.. he says you like em, take em. Cost me a few hours of odds and ends.
So i have power... twice... they're 3 phase. 3/4 horse 1900rpm... and what's called "wash down" i think it is? You can safely hose em down. Guess they're for kitchens or medical manufacturing etc. I go to their web page... they go a grand a piece...!! Now I gotta figure how to turn them into a grinder??
Local guy (elec distbtr) said sorry... couldn't do anything in trade... though he'll keep his eyes open with customers.

I know it's a real reach... but i've seen a lot of unique ideas around here,,, so i take the chance. Hope it's not too far fetched a post...?
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Thnx,
Stocky

Welcome to the pound.
Not trying to rain on your parade,and I don't know a thing
about 3phase,but 3/4 hp is not going to be big enough.
If the motors work I would try to trade them to someone
for a larger one.
Good luck,

God bless,Keith

that's a great score. See if you can move them on Craigs list for a little bigger HP..

I have... not even a sniff as of yet. Why would anyone pay that much for a motor?
I guess I figure there are machinists around here (ya think? he said) so I took a shot.
The guy at the electric supply place offered me a personal trade of another Baldore which went for about $250... which is to say, that is still better then what i have in my budget right now... I know he's got something in mind for his-self.. that's Y I took a stroll... if he threw in a controller of some kind... who knows...
I'd at least be a quarter of the way... then maybe a kalamazoo, or weldless(?) (sans motor) and a bunch of periferals... guessing another 3 to 4 hundred, ... and I'd have a decent barebones start-up. Who knows... I've devoured your past posts, and Jersey forum as well (nosing around there for over a year) so I think I know where I won't be gettin poop, though not top end.
Maybe I can find some electrical appliance/contractor forum to post in? Dreamer
Thnx 4 encouragment
Stocky

Check with some of the places that sell used pharmaceutical and food processing equipment. They may buy them from you. There's a place in the SF Bay Area (Fritzenberg, if I remember correctly) that we used to get a lot of used tanks, pumps and stuff for the pharmaceutical and medical device industry.

Ric

Those 3/4 hp motors would be good for a disc grinder and get an old Delta,Jet, 14" band saw and connect them to your future veri. spd 2"x72" grinder controller.

Oh yeah !

I wouldn't think of unloading those. A VFD and your hooked up with a variable speed reversable disk grinder and horizontal grinder, or disc & buffer( with the small addition of an arbor), or one flat disc and one tapered disc.... or or or the possibilities are endless but having variable speed is a HUGE plus no matter what the tool.

Once your addicted your tool desires will grow exponentially

Josh

Old sears disc/belt grinder hooked to my vari spd. with a 3 pole double throw switch, (3pDT) it's on little ball rollers so I can move it to the control location and future dust collector.Linerlock 2011 005.jpgLinerlock 2011 002.jpgLinerlock 2011 004.jpgLinerlock 2011 003.jpg

Stocky,

I have 4-2 HP DC Baldors sitting on my shelf in the shop. We are going to be clearing the place out to make room for barrels of Quench Oil. If you want one I'll ship it to you for the price of the shipping. Send me an Email At: njsteelbaron@gmail.com They are in great shape and waiting for a home.

Stocky,

I have 4-2 HP DC Baldors sitting on my shelf in the shop. We are going to be clearing the place out to make room for barrels of Quench Oil. If you want one I'll ship it to you for the price of the shipping. Send me an Email At: njsteelbaron@gmail.com They are in great shape and waiting for a home.

Wow, what an offer, I’ve read that you are a ‘good guy’ but generosity like this is proof beyond doubt. It’s good to know people like you are still out there and in business, I’m sure you will get my patronage in the future.

Just make sure you wire everything with NEMA4. That way you can just hose it down when you clean up the shop:lol:.

Back