AFter a stroke

v-6

Not right after laying brick for 48 years to have a stroke or two,
mini ones. This just a couple of years after retiring and taking up knife making. been at this for 4 years.
well left arm not working the best but working. guess i will have to use some jigs to help with the grinds . (bummer)
just venting a little.
Anyone else in that boat?
Stroke happen a year ago and arm still messed up.

vern

Last edited:
Its natural to miss something that we had and then lost. It is also good to vocalize frustrations instead of keeping them bottled up. I hope you can adjust quickly and get back at it!

I had a stroke too, but recovered all movements. Hopefully you will too. I remember reading about a one armed knifemaker once and if he can do it, just keep hanging in there.

I've had my share of the bad stuff so I do understand. I'm hoping you will get right through this and back to a good normal thing for you. My best to you. Frank

Sorry to hear Vern. Rehab didn't help much?
Maybe do some more? Or a new Physical Terrorist?
Nerves don't always come back to where they were.
Keep Swingin! Dozier

Had 2 minor Heart attacks last year myself . Lost alot of ability . Patience and Knife Dogs will see you through .

Not right after laying brick for 48 years to have a stroke or two,
mini ones. This just a couple of years after retiring and taking up knife making. been at this for 4 years.
well left arm not working the best but working. guess i will have to use some jigs to help with the grinds . (bummer)
just venting a little.
Anyone else in that boat?
Stroke happen a year ago and arm still messed up.

vern

Vern, I don't know you, but I am now glad to have met you and know I have another Brother Here! Who could know what you are facing? Just to vent and share with us duds takes a lot. I guess we all have our thorns and I hate it. I hate that you suffer and that means there are those around you that are hurting too. So many us have crap so will admit some wont, lol.
I can only feel with you, offer a hand to hold if you need it and Listen. The Lord humbled me twelve years ago and I guess I have a lot of pride issues because he keeps cracking a chip at a time in my concrete? If you don't mind I would like to share a song...some bone head wrote: LOL I hope it brings some ointment in this nightmare you are facing. Thank you so much for sharing, because it reminds me I am not alone in this stupid world. As a paramedic I saw one thing to become true...everyone rides the same gurney:the rich man that just had a heart attack, would never understand or comprehend the call before him was a destitute prostitute stabbed for her 50 dollars, .......she took the ride before him and I too have taken the ride, in fact my own dang gurney...just a weird thing. Thanks for letting me vent....heres a song I wrote when I felt like giving up, let it be a reminder for us? (Life Changes) Your Bro...Kris

As many of us have found, KD and knifemaking is great therapy for not only physical ailments but for ailment of the heart as well. We are always here in the times you need to vent and will always listen and offer a shoulder for support. May God bless you with a full recovery and the determination to drive forward.

Last edited:
Well,I haven't had any strokes, but 5 years I had a bad fall and fractured my spine,along with a leg/groin injury (buggered some tendons and ligaments) .
The leg injury hurt WAY more than the back,and within a week I was back at work (on light duty).I didn't know I'd fractured my back,until a year later when I had a nasty slip.
Now I have arthritis in the lower spine and it's spreading.
3 years ago,I suffered a 3 point tear of my rotator cuff but kept working for 2 weeks (working concrete and forming)...
now I have irreparable muscle damage and a weakened 'cuff... I'm 46 years old,half as strong as I was,get pained when it's cold and wet and windy,and that was hard to wrap my head around for awhile.
I figure that was God's way of telling me to work smarter than harder...:3:
I ain't as good as I once was,but I'm as good once as I ever was.

Work it out as best you can Vern,and don't push yourself too hard;
you've paid your dues,worked hard all your life,and guys like us,we have a habit of wanting to push like we're still 25 years old...
Eat healthy,look after yourself,and be good to yourself.
Heal up and be well amigo!
Smoke rising for ya,
Wolf.

I had brain surgery in august on '09 and have had chronic pain & neuropathy ever since. I picked up knifemaking as a hobby to help pass the time. I too have had to learn the hard way that your body is not what is once was. Do what you can in the shop when you can and take joy in the little steps forward. Yea it gets to you sometimes. WAIT! no all the times, but whats the alternative. Never thought I'd be typing this at my computer, in my room, at my parents house, at 21. Life just deals you some odd hands sometimes, but you can still win the pot if you try hard enough. Hang in there.

-David

Back