Argentine Lignum Vitae Skinner

Frankallen

Here's another Skinner I made for a man that Deer Hunts a lot. He already has 2 of my Knives and he wanted this one. This one has "Argentine Lignum Vitae" scales, this Lignum Vitae is NOT the Genuine Lignum Vitae stuff (too dang expensive)..but, this is a great substitute for the real thing!

The overall length is 8 1/2"....Blade is 3 3/4".....Handle is 4 3/4"
Feels real comfortable in your hand ....Steel 1095 HT by me..
Scale Pins are 3/16" solid brass..

Thanks for Looking, Hope y'all like it.:)

Frank

131947781.jpg

131947782.jpg

131947780.jpg

Good looking knife! The scales are beautiful. Where can you get them? And what did you use to finish them with. I assume they are not stabilized.

Davin

Good looking knife! The scales are beautiful. Where can you get them? And what did you use to finish them with. I assume they are not stabilized.

Davin

Thanks Guys for the comments.. Davin.....I just used a couple of coats of Danish Oil and then waxed the handles...I got these off eBay, just type in "Argentine Lignum Vitae knife scales or handles" and
you should find some scales. Argentine Lignum Vitae is so hard that they really don't benefit from Stabilizing, but some people do it :)

Frank

Last edited:
Lignum Vitae will sneer at stabilization. In my experience it's almost like sanding wax it's so oily. Love it!

Thanks for the info Frank. I found some here at the Woodcraft store here close to home.I'll have to go and check it out. Whats the difference between the genuine and the Argentine?

Davin

Thanks for the info Frank. I found some here at the Woodcraft store here close to home.I'll have to go and check it out. Whats the difference between the genuine and the Argentine?

Davin

Davin....I have heard they are similar but complete different species. The "Genuine" Lignum Vitae, I have read where they use them for bearings and they outlast Brass or Bronze. That's about all I know.

Back