Hoarding

Indian George

I am addicted to knife handle materials. :34: If I don't have 300# of handle materials I do have a ounce. :what!:
I know I am not the only one. HEHEHEHEHE!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
IG,
A friend dropped by with an oak log & black walnut log.
I cut them up into blocks, about 1.5 x 1.75 by 6".
Is there anything I need to do to them but let them air dry.

I cut them all length wise this time. Next time I may try
cross cutting or diagonal.

Thanks in advance.

IG,
A friend dropped by with an oak log & black walnut log.
I cut them up into blocks, about 1.5 x 1.75 by 6".
Is there anything I need to do to them but let them air dry.

I cut them all length wise this time. Next time I may try
cross cutting or diagonal.

Thanks in advance.
Wax both ends and put the in a cool dry place for a year. :3: I also put Popsicle Sticks in between them for better air circulation.:biggrin:

Do y'all have bandsaws big enough to cut the logs into blocks? or do you just rough them with a chainsaw, then move to a regular sized bandsaw?

My dad has about 2 acres of woods on his lot that I need to go inventory... :)

Brad
I said log, I actually meant large pieces of firewood with the bark on one side.
I used a table saw and had to do some creative cutting to
get the blocks down to size to then use the rip fence.

Would have used a chainsaw but don't have one. Sawzall was my next choice if
the tablesaw didn't work.

IG,
That sounds like a plan. Thanks

Hey IG, I changed the spelling for you to Hoarding. When I read Horading I thought it was about a swat team breaking doors down in cathouses (Hoe-raiding)

Sorry if this isnt funny.

I don't have 300 pairs but i do tend to collect g10 and mammoth just in case.

Steve

I know exactly where your coming from IG. I started out with a small drawer full about 12 months ago....then to a bigger drawer....now I have 2 large ( 12"W X 12"D X 24" L ) drawers full. Everything from stag to inlace acralester(sp) to elk horn. AND I just ordered some wood the other day , IDK what for , it was just real pretty stuff.
I think I have a problem too.

i started to collect mammoth ivory but that was breaking me so I had to stop..I have boxes of wood burls I will probably never use..lately I have been turning over stag material. I have everything I can do to not walk half of it over and put it in my shop.

yeah found a box of stag in the closet this weekend that I had forgotten about. Still cruise all the sites looking for more pretty stabilized woods.

Hey IG, I changed the spelling for you to Hoarding. When I read Horading I thought it was about a swat team breaking doors down in cathouses (Hoe-raiding)

Sorry if this isnt funny.

I don't have 300 pairs but i do tend to collect g10 and mammoth just in case.

Steve
OOOPS!!!:what!: But I see how your mind works now. HEHEHEHE!!!

I might have a block or 2 laying around. I just got some outrageously nice English Elm Burl and its on its way to be stabilized in the next few days. Larry

Yeah, I have a little too. Well maybe more than that I guess. OK, OK so I'm an addict all right!

At this point I've got somewhere over 150 blocks of stabilized woods and a similar amount of ironwood,
rosewood, etc. that doesn't need stabilization. And there are the pieces waiting for my next shipment
for WSSI processing...

Back