Happy Soldier

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
Back in November Justin King sent me a knife which he had made. The knife had a short visit with its new owner prior to him reading about our drvie to do a build/donation of knives for servicemembers. Long story short, the new owner decided he wanted to donate the knife to a deploying soldier. The knife made its journey back to Justin and was then sent on to me so that I may give it to a worthy soldier.

By the time I received the knife, the group that we were training for thier deployment had departed, so the knife sat in waiting. Yesterday we began training a new group of soldiers and I had intended to take the knife to work with me but forgot it at my apartment. Remembering the knife once I made it to the training lane, I pulled some of the key leaders of the group to the side and asked if that might have a young soldier who was deserving of recognition and who would truly appreciate a good knife. They spoke it over and came back to me an hour or so later.

When the group of NCOs returned to talk to me, they decided to recommend SPC. Richard Smith as the receipient of the knife. As it turns out, SPC. Smith has had a rough past couple of months dealing with being away from his wife and preparing for the deployment. Over the Christmas holiday, SPC. Smith's wife gave birth to a new child (I believe thier first). Through all of the recent trials which he has had to face, SPC. Smith's NCOs said he has been an extremely hard working soldier who has conquered a few pretty tough obstacles in order to remain a dedicated soldier, husband, and now father.

After presenting SPC. Smith with the knife and explaining to him why he was selected, his first words to me were "I'll bring it home". It's kind of hard not to feel respect for a young soldier with SPC. Smith's determination and dedication. I pray the blade serves him well and that he and the rest of his team return home to thier families safely so that one day he can pass it on to his child.

"Good Luck and God Speed!"

SPC. Smith.jpg

Thank you for your efforts in this, Murph. I also want to thank Carl Brown, the generous customer that bought the knife and then donated it for a worthy Serviceman.
And, of course, not to forget the whole point, to say thank you to those who serve and offer so much of themselves, for our principles and freedoms. We are grateful.

Edit: picture of knife attached

Attachments

• HeavyField5 026 (2).jpg
    HeavyField5 026 (2).jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Thanks to SPC Smith , Mr Brown , Justin and Murph . I keep trying to write something better than just Thanks , but words escape me . Can't wait to get our blades in the hands of the Folks who need'em too ..

God Bless all involved and prayers for SPC. Smith's safe return to his wife and child. I hope he gets a chance to play "Pin the tail on the tango" with that great knife.

Murph,

I've been wondering what happened with all that A2. Damn glad to hear it.

Aldo

I'm not sure if this one was made from your steel or not Aldo. After talking to Bill this weekend, I know we are about to get started finishing up the big project. So far I have request for 15 of the blades for a Marine group (Les's buddies) and five for a multi-branch task force (Army, Navy, and Marine). This hould leave a dozen or so to be distributed to other personnel who have yet to be idenified.

Murph,

I've been wondering what happened with all that A2. Damn glad to hear it.

Aldo

This knife is from some of your other A2 that I ordered last year, buddy!
I can't thank you enough for supplying the steel for the build, Aldo. That would not be happening without your generosity.

Back