What items would you carry in a basic survival kit?

Wil

I am interested in putting together several survival kits...from basic to advanced and would like to hear what other would consider essential items. Thanks.

1. Fire source (ie. cigarette lighter/matches)
2. Back up fire source (Ferro rod/ cotton balls soaked in vaseline, 9v battery/steel wool)
3. Water purification tablets.
4. Cordage ( I prefer military grade 550 cord. It can be used whole or you can pull out the inner twine)
5. Fishing line and hooks
6. Emergency Blanket
7. Signal mirror
8. Several Power Bars
9. Asprin/Ibuprophen/Acetaminphen

These are the first things to come to mind. I'll think of more later. I didn't list "knife" because I always have at least two on me at just about any time. It never hurts to throw in a small SAK though. If you can put this all together in a small can similar to a coffee can, the can can double as a water container/purifier in the even you need to boil water.

I'd have a stout camper/chopper, a good SAK and a multi-tool at least. Hey Wil! Good to see ya here. Don't forget any Meds you have to take. Something I don't see on most lists is vitamins, if you are being stressed by a survival situation and your food supply is limited, your body still needs basic nutrition that you can supplement with a multi-vitamin.

Pat

We added "QuickClot" clotting bandages and Coban wraps to ours.

Pat, I like the Vitamin idea, we always think about food but not necessarily about nutrition.
Good Call.

These fellows have it pretty well covered. It depends how big a kit you're talking about, it can quickly grow from a small pouch to a backpack that can keep you going indefinitely. Regarldess, I'm a big fan of boullion cubes or better yet, a couple packages of cup-a-soup, and those foil pouches of tuna or salmon. The flat cans of kippered herring or sardines are great too, lots of calories and protien in a small light package. Something hot and tasty always cheers me up.

I would add to the above: a compass, one of those saws that is just a blade with a ring at each end, lightweight folding shovel, Henry .22 Survival Rifle (barrel fits in stock), signal mirror, orange air panel, small magnifying glass, small sharpening stone and lots of twine. Oh, and 2 gallons of shine and a baloney sandwich.

1. Fire source (ie. cigarette lighter/matches)
2. Back up fire source (Ferro rod/ cotton balls soaked in vaseline, 9v battery/steel wool)
3. Water purification tablets.
4. Cordage ( I prefer military grade 550 cord. It can be used whole or you can pull out the inner twine)
5. Fishing line and hooks
6. Emergency Blanket
7. Signal mirror
8. Several Power Bars
9. Asprin/Ibuprophen/Acetaminphen

These are the first things to come to mind. I'll think of more later. I didn't list "knife" because I always have at least two on me at just about any time. It never hurts to throw in a small SAK though. If you can put this all together in a small can similar to a coffee can, the can can double as a water container/purifier in the even you need to boil water.

If I can add to the small package idea, some thin wire for a snare, chocolate for instant energy along with the powerbars, razor blade, prescription meds packed in cotton, needle and thread, unwaxed dental floss and I very much like the Esee arrowhead on the market. The shovel idea is a good one too, I have a Glock that is sharpened and it contains a saw in the handle. The Glock also folds down fairly small to be carried on the belt or in a ruck.

small 22 pistol a must

And a good hunting sling-shot.
The cheapest,easiest weapon you can pack along.
Ammo is unlimited (in almost any situation),it's fairly quiet,and it's got danged near the same effective range and power as a 22 short.
(small steel ball bearings are good ammo.)

And a good hunting sling-shot.
The cheapest,easiest weapon you can pack along.
Ammo is unlimited (in almost any situation),it's fairly quiet,and it's got danged near the same effective range and power as a 22 short.
(small steel ball bearings are good ammo.)

Perfect! I had one as a kid, very effective!

This thread got me thinking. There is a gun show in town tomorrow. I'm gonna go see what goodies they have and what I don't find I'll pick up at the surplus store or on camp. I'll have a good kit put together in a few days.

Edit:

As for the sling shot idea, I would honestly prefer a blow gun if I were going to add a small weapon into the kit. I'm much more accurate with it thana sling shot.

Last edited:
In my opinion,in an extended survival situation,
if you're adept at making your own darts,that IS a great hunting tool for small game,almost silent,and easy to use...
but the thing I love about a good hunting sling-shot is any river,beach,lake or trail is rich with unlimited ammo.
(and a powerful sling-shot will take down a rabbit pretty easily)

Yall gonna thing Im crazy but my GOOD (Get Out Of Dodge) bag has maxipads and tampons in it as well as all the other stuff, couple of MRE's The good cold weather ones. couple of pen signal flairs, botlel of hoppes #9 , and a 45 cal bore snake and some extra ammo, and some hydracortozone, and tylenol, My Trioxane fuel and stove and canteen cup from the jarhead days.

The Pads make great Preasure dressings for wounds of all kinds cheap and sanitary lol the other well lets just say bullet holes dont leak as much. and

Rusty, I was keepong it simple. You do have a valid point on the sanitary items. I had several medics actually direct us to add the items to our CLS bags in '04.

I all ways had sanitary items in my aid bag they stop blood faster than anything that was before blood clot came out also if you go to the tack rooms "stuff for horses" blood clot come a lots cheaper and in bigger bottles .

Last edited:
OK u all forgot something my POPS always tells me to never forget TOOTHPASTE AND A TOOTHBRUSH ,if your teeth hurt you can't be picking up on them other survival girls LOL ,no its just bad if your teeth hurt and unhealthy and staying healthy is the main goal "RIGHT" . And now I know where all my Pads disappear to ,better check my Pops three bags he has one for him,Mom,and me all made up

OK u all forgot something my POPS always tells me to never forget TOOTHPASTE AND A TOOTHBRUSH ,if your teeth hurt you can't be picking up on them other survival girls LOL ,no its just bad if your teeth hurt and unhealthy and staying healthy is the main goal "RIGHT" . And now I know where all my Pads disappear to ,better check my Pops three bags he has one for him,Mom,and me all made up
Great point on dental care. There are some emergency dental kits on the market as well. I heard a long time ago that chewing on a green hardwood twig will do the trick for toothbrush replacement. Anyone have any thoughts as to this??

The Bushman in Africa would use a twig from a non poisones plant, chew the end to form a sort of hard brush and use that to clean there teeth with. My great Grand Mother told me that they had ash on there fingers to clean there teeth with at one stage.

Back