Knife #15 - The Fighter that Fought Me All The Way

Erin Burke

Good afternoon Dogs,

Knife #15 is in the books... and I'm happy to be done with her. She fought me at every corner... and eventually left me a beaten and dispirited shadow of a man. Here she is.

Some Stats:
Length: 10-1/8"
Blade: 5-7/16" (tip to choil?)
Steel: Through-hardened 1095 (from Kelly Cupples) Flat-Ground
Handle: WSSI Stabilized Katalox Scales with frame handle and hidden pins
Guard and Butt Bolsters: 416ss

5347487096_6768bbf24b_o.jpg

5347487272_365138e9b4_o.jpg

5346878301_e7d37062ee_o.jpg

5346878505_20a1e6fa7d_o.jpg

While I am content wit the overall feel and design of this knife, the are a few things that really didn't turn out how I had hoped.

This is the first frame handle that I've attempted. It added a whole new level of complexity to the project, and while I did get it to work, you can see from the third photo that the handle frame does not line-up perfectly with the spine of the blade. There are alignment pins between the frame and the guard, but they must have been slightly offset... either that, or I screwed up one side when tapering the frame. Either way, I'm rather disappointed by this flaw. On top of that, the misalignment makes one scale look a little thinner along the spine. :pinch:

This is the second knife where I tried to make a faceted handle that includes complex curves. I wish I could figure out a good way to do this cleanly. I shape the facets on my 8" wheel, but it is very difficult to keep clean sharp lines, especially at the transition points between the guard/scales and the scales/butt-bolsters. If somebody has any good tricks for this, I'd love to hear them.

Now that I've pointed out the bad stuff, I will say that, as far as fighters go, this is one ranks right up there with the best handling knives I have produced.

Erin

Erin,
If you're disappointed with that, I'm never going to be able to show
you any of my tries. That Knife is beautiful and the sheath as well.

Nice work.

Erin,
Every knife is a learning process that keeps it fresh. This is looking pretty good to me. At the level of detail you are working at I bet you will figure out how to make it work. I have never tried this type of handle, not really my style but is there anyway you could make a jig or table guide to grind this more like you want it? Just a thought. Best of luck.

Eric

I sure am glad you pointed out all of your mistakes Erin. I would have never found them. Wait, I'm still not seeing them. Quit complaining, it looks great.

I'm with Murph, I don't see what you "see" as far a mistakes.
It looks like you came out mighty fine in this "fight" IMHO.
Dozier

WOW that is a beauty well done. Agree with the above if there is any mistakes, I can't see them, remember it is a hand made knife.

Erin , I must say , for knife #15 , you've done an incredible job . That is a beautiful knife .
As far as technique for faceting the handle , I would hog out the bulk of what you want removed with the grinder . But leave plenty for finishing with a file . Using a file gives you plenty of time to eyeball it and get it right . The grinder - way to fast . Try using a knife-vise too . I got one from Rudy Joly and I have to tell you , it really helped me .​

Awesome work Arin!
I have admired your work,from your very first knife you made.
Each one has been better than the last.
Thanks for letting us follow your progress.

God bless,Keith

Murph, Doz & Pieter,

I have a little test here that I'd like you to take a look at:

E
F P
T O Z
L P E D
P E C F D
E D F C Z P
F E L O P E D

:9:

I agree, it's always easier to see your own mistakes. Hopefully I'll keep improving.

Seionage,

This knife has a frame handle... the inner workings look a little bit like this.
5272612968_b3549c80a9.jpg

Note: This photo was taken before I added some milled "slip-pin" pockets for additional hold between the frame and the tang.

One of the complaints that I mentioned earlier is how the handle frame and the spine of the blade do not line up perfectly on either side of the guard. It is fairly clear in the third photo.

Anyway, on to #16.

Awesome knife Erin, How do you attach the tang to the framed handle? Has anyone seen any how to's online or instructions in a book for this type of handle?
Chris

Erin, Looks really good to me. We are our own harshest critics but that just drives us to improve oon the next one. Regards, Dan

Back