Knife #14 Finished - Small Hunter/Fighter

Erin Burke

Good afternoon Dogs,

I just finished leather and photos for Knife #14. I figured I'd post a few shots.

Some Stats:
Length: 9-3/8"
Blade: 4-5/16" (tip to choil?)
Steel: Differentially heat-treated 1095 (from Kelly Cupples) Flat-Ground
Handle: Honduran Rosewood burl with 416ss pin
Guard: 416ss w/ black fiber spacer

5346876625_8664f020c8_o.jpg

5347486106_12737fcc56_o.jpg

5347486264_e62b47834e_o.jpg

5346877191_d118769550_o.jpg

I am extremely pleased with how this knife turned out. Everything came together very nicely. This was my first time working with Honduran Rosewood, and I am very pleased. It finishes out beautifully with some thinned tung oil. I wish I had more blocks of this wood, but all I have left is a couple sets of scales.

I feel that I was able to refine and improve the shape of my guard from some of my previous efforts. It just seems more organic. I am also happy with the hamon... I did not etch it, so it is very subtle, but can faintly be seen in the first photo.

If there is anything that I am unhappy with, it would have to be the sheath. When I see knives from other great makers I think someday, with enough experience, I may be able to turn out something that good. Conversely, when I see a sheath by a great maker like Paul Long, it just seems like voodoo magic that I will never figure out. Nonetheless, this sheath is serviceable and fits well... it just uglies-up my photos. :34:

So, what do y'all think. Did I do OK?

Very nice Erin. Don't beat yourself up over the sheath, it looks great to me.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Hey Jeff... how's your knifemaking coming along? Did you ever finish the one that you sent me progress photos of?

Back