grinding a fillet knife - need help

UncleBillyKnives

I know I have seen a photo here some where of grinding a fillet knife that was attached to a steel plate to keep the thin blade flat and not bending while grinding, can anyone one help? I was thinking of heat treating first this time around to help prevent warping. the steal will be 1/16" O-1, thanks for the help.

Perhaps a good size welding magnet? That's certainly not going to flex. If it's not long enough maybe a bar of hardened steel between the magnet and the blade would help.

I use a welding magnet all the time for tapering. Saves a lot of singed/scraped fingers and helps you put even pressure on the workpiece.

As for HT before grinding on thin blades, I agree that's the way to go.

Billy On thin kitchen knives and filet knives,I profile,drill,flatten then H/T.Grind the bevels after H/T,I use a paint stir stick cut to the profile of the blade as a backer to keep it from flexing while grinding.
Stan

David Boye has a good tip on grinding a filet knife. In his book "Step-by-Step Knifemaking" on page 43-45. He shows grinding with the point down and the blade between the wheel and the tool rest and pulls the blade back up to him, twisting towards the edge. The book explains better than me. Hope this helps.

Back