Haveing trouble

Toole

Hi all I am haveing the hardest time putting my makers mark on my knives. What are y'all doing that I am not. What kind off etching unit are y'all using and where can I get one.
Thank Y'all
Jeff Toole

Hi Jeff,

I've been using (probably) the cheapest solution out there (apart from my stencil).

I had a stencil made by Ernie Grospitch (sp?). I use a simple 9V battery (Duracell) with two crocodile clips attached to it. The red (+) terminal gets clipped to the blade, and the black (-) terminal gets clipped to a small piece of flat steel which is wrapped in a small cotton pad. I make a simple solution of about a teaspoon of salt dissolved in a 1/2 cup of water. I use this to dampen the cotton pad with. Tape the stencil to the blade, and press down firmly for about 3 minutes (hardened steel), or 1 1/2 minutes (annealed steel).

Simple as that - works like a charm!

Hi Jeff:

I've been using an Etch-O-Matic combined with stencils made by Ernie Grospitch. Works just fine. You can get an Etch-O-Matic from most knife supply shops (like Sheffield Knife Supply) for around $80 to $100. If you have your own makers mark, Ernie can create quality stencils for you at a very reasonable price.

Jim

Back