Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Hunter

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • Dagger

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gahagan

What type of knife would be best for the Wilkes Pregnancy Care Center Charity knife.
Large Bowie 11"-14" blade
Small Bowie 7"-10" blade
Hunter
Dagger

Last edited:
I think you would get more bids or raffle money for something that people would be more useful. Bowies are nice but mostly display while hunters could be used and help even to spread your name because of its use.

That is why I posted this poll. I was originally going to just make a Bowie and then I Started thinking that it was not always useful and may not get bid on as well as something people could actually use. we will see. I do like a good Bowie though that is why I have two sizes . I figured if I made a smaller bowie it could be useful as well.

I voted Bowie because I feel they are easier to sell, Weather it be via raffle or full on sale. There seems to be more interest in bowies by the general public over other knives.

I have always admired a nice hunting set
with a skinning knife and a smaller caper built together
in one sheath combination. 2 knives same handle material.
This is just my thoughts.

I was thinking both. She wants to sell as many tickets as she can. I am not in charge of the raffle just the build.

I don't know what to tell you. You have to have a knife that will generate the ticket sales you need to raise the funds you need but the knife has to show value to the person buying the ticket without pricing your buyers out of the market.

Case in point: the cancer research knives are absolutely drop dead gorgeous but at $100 a ticket are out of my league. If you have a knife that I perceive to be worth, say $200, and tickets are say $1 each or maybe even $5 for 6 or $10 for 12 I'm probably in for at least $10. $20 if I find your cause particularly appealing. However the same $200 knife at $5 a pop, you may only get $5.

Sorry, not much help I guess... Best of luck with your decision and the fundraising though.

I'd go with a hunter. As someone living in rural NC, a useful knife is usually much more appealing. I know hunting is a big thing in my area and at $2 a pop you will definitely appeal to that crowd as well. Bowies are nice and appeal to the collector in all of us. But with a hunter you are not just appealing to people who want to help the center and/or win something to put on a shelf at home. I see many more blue collar men and young hunters getting excited about a new hunting knife. But thats just my 2 cents.

-David

Make 2 knives and cover both bases . A Hunter/Skinner for a local raffle and a Bowie for here on Knife Dogs .
To make the 2 knife idea a little more interesting , I'll tell you what ...​
I believe in the adage , " in for a penny , in for a pound " ; I'll donate a bar of Delbert Ealy's damascus for a Bowie , for a KD raffle .​
Let me know what you think .​
Thanks , Bill​

Sounds like a plan to me. I was contemplating just doing both. I would love some damascus for the Bowie and thanks.

Probably go with a nice hunter or the regular Bowie. Unless market research tells you to go with something bigger.

Back