KD under attack by spammers..

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
We have been under assault by "bot spammers". These are programs that get past the registration verification and then post spam. We have banned literally hundreds of users in the last few weeks. Jeff Pearce is on a mission...

We have taken several very strong steps.

• Currently all registrations require manual approval.
  • Any email ending in @gmail.com just isn't getting in here. Half of our spammers use @gmail.com This creates a problem for legitimate new registrations but we don't have a choice right now. They will have to find a new email.
  • We banned several @.ru (russian domain) emails also.
  • We changed from image verification to 2 challenge questions.
  • We have been adding dozens of IPs to the banned list.
  • I have contacted the host and a vbulletin consultant for some assistance.

These guys aren't going to screw this place up.
Carry on...

The vbulletin tech support guru guy has installed an anti bot mod that he spent most of yesterday working on for other clients. It took him about 2 minutes to upload the module.

There is the old story..
A machine in a factory breaks down and the owner calls in a mechanic. The mechanic studies the machine for a minute, takes out his hammer and taps it once on a certain spot and the machine starts right back up. The mechanic puts away the hammer and says "That will be $50." The factory owner says "$50! How can that be?" The mechanic says "$5 for the hammer tap, $45 for knowing where to hit it."

We had to pay him for knowing where to whack this beast...

I hope it works. I need some rest....Lol

you do.. you are the spam assassin...

I think we made some pretty big changes this morning under the hood that will make a big difference....go have a mountain dew and shoot something. You will feel better...

Thanks for the update Boss. Jeff has been working his butt of on killing these guys. Everytime I would see one, I'd begin loading my rifle only for the target to be destroyed by the time I started lining up my sights. Jeff is definately a master spam slayer.

Jeff is really the hero here. He has been just hammering spammers.

an update. some of the changes we made seem to have made an immediate impact. We'd have off'd 20 or so by now and have had only one sneak in.
Round 1 Spammers
Round 2 KD

you can always ban the bots and spiders I had similar problems on a now defunct site a few years ago banned them and poof thing cleared up in hours. There were 300 registrations a day it was a nightmare for several weeks just filtering out the posts and registrations.

also if it is allowed if you look at the length of their pass words it is a dead give away they always go to the limit

I am told by the tech guy that we are now bouncing off dozens of attempts hourly.
KD, takes a ticking and keeps on licking...

Back