Question For Makers

big70tom

A custom with a blade made of CPM 154. Can you get that sharp enough to shave with? Ive read where the only way to shave with a Razor is if it is High Carbon as Stainless wont get a sharp enough edge.Does that hold true for the CPM 154 blade as well?

I don't know anything about making razors, but common sense tells me that if the blade geometry and heat treat are right CPM 154 should work fine.

CPM-154 is a great choice for a very fine edge. The CPM-154 test knife in my avatar cut through that 2x4 and still shaved hair.

Don't believe the "high-carbon vs. stainless" hype, there are excellent steels in both categories.

Last edited:
the key is fine grain and small carbides (SS or HC )

i use cpm154 for my razors and the HT is a bit different then my kitchen knives
the spine thickness is thicker then the HC razors to ad a bit of angle
the SS razors seem to hone up best at a bit over 18 degree total angle where as the HC seem to be fine over 16 total

now with that said i still dont get as smooth a shave with SS and they are a bit more tricky to hone (i am getting closer while tring different hones )

Don't believe the "high-carbon vs. stainless" hype, there are excellent steels in both categories.

Ditto

Without getting longwinded, this whole argument started years ago when the first stainless steels started showing up. The average guy could not get it to take an edge like a non stainless knife, so therefore it was thought that stainless couldnt be sharpened.
I use ATS34, which is almost the same as CPM154, in all my slipjoints. Ive never had any trouble getting shaving sharp, and, properly HT'ed it holds that edge better.

Sean

not to hi-jack the thread but I was planning on trying my first straight using some 440c that I already have on hand. would that be a less than ideal choice? should I pick up a peice of HC? just to make my life easier? and what about rusting one would think SS would be a better choice for a straight considering the environment it's ment to be used in...

ats34 and CPM154 share only the alloys as they are made 2 different ways the cpm being a much finer grain and carbide distribution. most knife makers say shaving sharp but in fact have never shaved with a razor. Not a jab at you just most think shaving sharp is about armhair trimming and that is a far cry from a good shaving razor .

440c could be used but if you are just tiring your hand at the razor thing HC will work much better. its easer to HT grind and hone.
you sure could try the 440 tho and it might work jsut fine
what hones do you have or plan on gettign for the stone progression different steels at different hardness can act very different on the hones

440C is high carbon and it can definitely be shaving sharp.

CarbonSteelChart.jpg

thanks for the info guys.
I currently have'nt got any hones... I have a med. lansky diamond paddle that I use to sharpen my knives then I have a pair of homemade leather strops one that I use with green buffer compound and the other with white. gets my knives scary sharp. what homes would you reccomend to a guy just starting out and not sure if I'll make more than a handfull of straights... (one for me, then if that turns out mabye for father in law and brothers in law)

the norton 4k/8k combo hone and a chinese 12k grit cheapy are the best bet and a leather strop but be warned to read up on honing as its not the same as knife honing
a few of the guys that i have helped make razors now contract out the honing as they dont want to get a collection of hones

thanks so much I will deffinately do some reading and will most likely invest in a set of hones as in my opinion one can never have too many ways of making stuff sharp ;)

Back